Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Richmond Hill
Hi :smile:

I want to send my best regards to all participants of this forum, I respect all people affected by this desease and wish them to stay strong. I sympathise with people who lost loved ones to ALS.

I hope you can help me to get an idea of what might be happening to me.

3 months ago I had bunion surgery, both feet. Left foot still in pain. A month ago I was exposed to cold for 4 hours, just sitting outside with light clothes, did not feel cold though until the last moment when I got home. But the following night and week had excruciating pain in my feet, pins and needles in feet, arms, legs and cold sensation in the body, twitching, following terrible weakness. I still have these symptoms, not that acute though.

A couple weeks ago I noticed that my hands changed, as if my fingers are weak, and there is a dent between my thumbs and fingers. I went to the ER last week, They say this is muscle atrophy. Did blood work, Creatine kinase 1070, elevation of AST, ALT.

I was referred to neurologist, still waiting for the appointment.

I found pictures and description of split hand in the Internet and in your forum, which look exactly as my hands look. I found a picture of my hand 2 months ago, it was not the same as now. Now my fingers started to curl when I extend the arms.

This together with other symptoms as twitching, terrible weakness makes me think of ALS.

I will send the pictures of my hands in the following post.

I appreciate your opinion very much.

I am adding pictures for my previous post. Please have a look. I will appreciate you opinions. Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 17,778
Pins and needles sensations and “excruciating pain “ point away from ALS. Lots of things can cause an elevated CPK. Start with the neurologist’s evaluation. We can’t diagnose you here except to say this doesn’t sound like ALS.

PS., pictures don’t tell us much.

Sorry only one picture uploaded, I will add more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 6,310
It is so hard to take apicture with one hand.

Thank you Karen very much. Pain I mean was pins and needles and twitching, which subsided to some extend, but still have them, plus mum nests in the hands and arms and in the head as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,911
Sorry I mean numbness of arms and hands, sometimes legs and even a head.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 6,480
Like Karen said, everything, absolutely everything you've stated as your symptoms point away from ALS.

You don't have muscle wasting, btw, such as your title states. You can post all the pictures you would like, but they show nothing. Great news for you!

Keep your appointment just to put your mind at ease, however.

Thank you very much for your reply. The doctors at ER gave me a letter saying I have muscle atrophy. My hands really worry me so much, they were not like that before.

I do not feel pain in the hands.
At night numbness of the arms and twitching all over , even head and neck, which awakes me in the middle of the night.
And weakness of the whole body, it does not go away with rest.

All we can tell you is that numbness and weakness of the whole body ( or feeling weak) is not how we have experienced the onset of ALS.

Pictures are completely unhelpful and if you were told by a clinician you have atrophy we are not going to argue. That does not automatically mean ALS.

Your post and your CPK result remind me of a person here who turned out to have rhabdomyolysis. I have no idea if that is a possibility but you need to work with your doctors. Good luck

Thank you Nikki. I wish you all the best!

I wish to say thank you one more time for all the answers you posted, Nikki and Karen, and Bestfriendstilltheend. I appreciate your opinions very much, thank you! My heart goes to you and your families, I wish you all the very best, I know you are strong people, very good people, and I am very sorry that you have to go through all this difficult time in your life. Please stay positive no matter what, as this makes life better.
My best regards,
Elena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back