Old 02-09-2018, 06:18 AM #1 (permalink)
Banned

City: Zagreb
State: Croatia
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Yvme is on a distinguished road
Banned
Default 3.5 years with symptoms, finnaly went to ALS doctor

Hello,
I promised I will not post until I get checked with my doctor. I still have an appointment with rheumatologist but it will be in April.

So as the title says, iíve been to als neurologist in Slovenia. The doctor seems really nice and well educated, Iím a bit calmer now.

He did complete neuro exam on me. He noticed ďrather brisk tendon reflexesĒ and my plantar response was very difficult to elict, but at the end he managed to elict plantar flexor response. He graded my strenght 5/5. He didnít noticed not one twitch even he was looking really hard for it.
My body is trying really hard to make me look foolish around doctors.
Because i started crying, he saw how upset I was and performed an emg.
This was the first emg that was done like it is supposed to-he didnít ask of me to engage my muscles as strong as I can, but first mildly and than strong. He moved the needle in my muscles (no one did that before). He even left the needle still in muscles for as long as 2 minutes!! He tested only few muscles I was complaning about. Extensor digitorum brevis (8mV amplitude) gastrocnemious(3mV amplitude) and abductor pollicis (4mV) amplitude. There was no insertional activity, no fibrilations or fasciculations. At the end emg was stated NORMAL.
So it is consistent with other emg findings i had-chronic reinervation.
Iím a bit concerned about those ďrather brisk reflexesĒ but Iím doing my mantra: You would be very weak in 3.5 years span, you would have very visible atrophy in 3.5 years, there would be noticable progression in symptoms in 3.5 years...etc. Iím trying every day to keep my head above water.

I will keep you informed after my appointment with rheumatogist, i hope that this thread wonít be closed like my previous one so moderators wont be mad at me for opening a new one.
Sending hugs to everyone, thank you for reading my threads and helping me with my anxiety. I know that we undiagnosed folks are pain in the ass here, and I try really hard to avoid posting as much as I can.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:43 AM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3.5 years with symptoms, finnaly went to ALS doctor

Glad you are clear of ALS rather brisk reflexes as an isolated finding are nothing to worry about. They can be normal for you. They can also happen if you are anxious.

Threads close automatically after a certain amount of inactive time. We moderators understand this so if your thread is closed and the rheumatologist gives you a diagnosis you may post it. It is helpful to see people’s eventual diagnosis

Good luck
Thanks from
Yvme (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:56 AM #3 (permalink)
Banned

Banned

Thank you Nikki! You reassured me even more. He didn’t seemd concerned, so I’m repeating to myself that everything is ok
I hope that I will have something to inform you about after my rheumatologist apointment
Hugs and kisses to all!
Old 02-12-2018, 01:07 AM #4 (permalink)
Banned

Banned

I need opinion on this. I trust my doctor but it is obviously something going on is this how the atrophy looks like?
Attached Thumbnails
3.5 years with symptoms, finnaly went to ALS doctor-atrophy.jpg  
Old 02-12-2018, 01:23 AM #5 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant future
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant future

Yvme, no. It's not atrophy. Please understand that you are now using this forum as a general health anxiety forum. You don't have ALS- this is confirmed- yet you are still asking the people here to provide support and take time to continue to reassure you. Please recognize that this is not ok. Please let us know what the rheumy tells you, but stop asking the people here to help you with your health anxiety.
Thanks from
Atsugi (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 05:42 AM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute

That is a VERY HEALTHY ARM, Yvme.

It is difficult to be polite when people post crap like that photo.

Please, no more posts.

It's rude, very damn rude, when people post here after their doctors have told them they don't have ALS.

Folks, if your doctor treats you like a nut, there's probably a very good reason for that.
Thanks from
Bestfriendstilltheend (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 06:00 AM #7 (permalink)

City: Calgary
State: Alberta (AB)
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Bestfriendstilltheend has a spectacular aura aboutBestfriendstilltheend has a spectacular aura about

City: Calgary
State: Alberta (AB)
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Bestfriendstilltheend has a spectacular aura aboutBestfriendstilltheend has a spectacular aura about

After 3.5 years, it's time to move on and find another forum. This isn't a chat room or a health anxiety forum, it's a forum for terminally ill people and their care givers. You've been told this repeatedly, yet you still come back year after year, which shows you don't give a darn about the people here, only about fulfilling some need you have. That may sound harsh but it's all that one can conclude when your refusal to move on is so evident.

Please, go find a hobby, give back to those less fortunate or some other type of charity work. It's good for the soul.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, anxiety, atrophy, crying, diagnosed, emg, fasciculations, hope, ice, mad, muscles, neurologist, pain, progression, reading, symptoms, twitch, undiagnosed