Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uk
State
Cheshire
City
Manchester
For approx 4 months I have had increasing problems eating. Manipulating food around my mouth is hard work and I am frequently biting my tongue or mouth. Dry food eg bread is sometimes too difficult to swallow. My voice is slurring, also because I cannot seem to put my tongue in the right position. I have lost weight. As I was falling asleep last night I realised my tongue was moving. It actually really is in a sort of constant motion, I only really looked today. I have been to my Dr is is referring me.
I am 57.
Had a total Thyroidectomy last year for Graves disease.
Had Carpel tunnel op on my right wrist 7 years ago, that thumb frequently cramps, locking my thumb across my palm. Quite bad left Carpel tunnel symptoms in my left hand but at all sure it's related to my mouth.
What are other people's experiences of tongue problems, I am not at all sure what this could be

At this point there are many things it could be including circulatory problems affecting the brain, autoimmune conditions, vitamin and mineral deficiencies or excesses, and others. ALS would be way, way down on my list. I assume your doc is referring you to a neurologist? They may want to do a brain mri and check all sorts of blood tests. Hopefully you’ll get some answers.

Yes it is neurology referral. Thank you Karen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back