Country
Uni
State
GA
City
ATLANTA
Hi All,

This is my first time here. I will begin to tell you my story:

On December 7th I came down with Influenza Type A. I had fever for 5 days and was prescribed Tamiflu on day 2. Right around that time I noticed a small pain in my left armpit - it felt like I pulled something. A few days after, I noticed a burning sensation in my upper right spine and right tricep.

I flew down to FL on December 14th and while I was there was waking up at night with severe burning in either my right or left tricep and upper right spine. I then started to notice muscle twitching in my shoulders and triceps. Throughout the next week or so I would wake up with the persistent burning and a couple times would wake up to find my entire arm numb so I went to the ER. The ER doctors said it was most likely a complication of the flu, but he ordered blood work and an MRI of my brain/spine. Everything came back negative, although he said there was some slight inflammation at the top of my spine, but nothing to worry about.

I went to my PCP and she ordered more blood work. Once all my blood work came back negative, she referred me to a neurologist, and reiterated it was probably just a complication of the flu. Since I live in Atlanta, I went to Emory since they have a top neurology program.

The doctor did a neurological examination which checked out fine. He said the same thing, that there was mild inflammation at the top of my spine but that he wasn't concerned. He diagnosed with with Dysesthesia and Anxiety and ordered an EMG. He also put me on Gabapentin.

I did the EMG on my left arm and leg and it came back negative. He said he ruled out all the scary diseases and that it's either a reaction triggered by the virus, or a sensory phenomenon. He then ordered another EMG on my right arm and leg as well as another MRI on my brain and spine.

I have yet to take those tests; however, since then, no symptoms have gone away, and the twitching is now all over my body, as well as mild cramping in my hands and feet - it's usually worse at night. I also get a little cramping/stiffness in my upper forearms and calves.

I have also noticed my weight/muscle mass has shrunken since the flu, and prior to the flu, I went on a vegan diet for about 6 weeks, so this could be the cause.

Nonetheless, I am extremely scared and worried as it has been almost 2 months since I had the flu and I am still dealing with complications that seem like they are very slowly getting worse.

If anyone can shed light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

You are in good hands with Emory.

It does not sound like ALS and normal exam and EMG support that.

Post viral neurological symptoms are quite common and can last 6 months or more.

Thank you Nikki. I am hoping that it is not; however, I know ALS takes 12-14 months to diagnose and sometimes EMG's can be incorrect because it is too early.

I have seen people's videos on youtube describing their initial symptoms before ALS diagnosis and they are quite similar to mine. Nonetheless, I'm trying to stay optimistic.

I appreciate the response and open to anyone else chiming in.

Thanks!

Were your twitching, burning and cramping due to ALS, the EMG would have been abnormal.
Think about it.

As to "what else?", sorry lad, we only do MND.

You'll have to go elsewhere for that, such as your doctor.

Appreciate your response, Greg.

My next batch of tests are on February 6th and my follow up is on March 6th.

I am trying to stay positive amidst all of this.

Thank you all for your contributions as I am very thankful for all of you!

Hi all,

My EMG of my right arm came back negative, and my MRI was unchanged. It still has inflammation around the C7 vertebrae and we don't know what is causing this. The burning in my spine is uncomfortable and worrisome.

I still have body wide muscle twitching and neuropathy in my hands and feet, along with some stiffness in my calves and forearms from time to time, as well as weight loss (it's been very hard for me to put weight back on).

My neurologist says ALS doesn't cause pain; however, I have read counter arguments to that.

Does anyone think these could be very premature ALS symptoms and that it's too early for EMG's to pick up?

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

A clean EMG means you don't have ALS.

In ALS pain is secondary to primary symptoms such as cramping.

Listen to your Dr and read the second line in my .sig, below.

Good luck and good bye! 8^)

Here’s the thing, EMGs pick up on ALS before symptoms develop. My husband had bulbar onset, but the EMG showed abnormalities in his arms and upper back and he was completely asymptotic there at the time. EMGs aren’t ‘too early’. Your neuro told you no ALS,we have said that you’re not describing ALS. You are showing inflammation on an MRI, describing pain and burning and neuropathy, none of which are consistent with ALS.

I really don’t understand the idea that you read something on the internet and decide that a highly trained neuro at a highly trained institution is wrong. Dr. Google is notoriously inaccurate, while Emory neuros are a pretty respected bunch. Headaches have a wide variety of causes and most of them aren’t brain tumors. Same goes with twitching. You’ve been cleared of ALS by your neuro. Time to work with him to identify and treat what is causing your symptoms as it’s not ALS. Chasing a nonexistent diagnosis here is not productive.

Best of luck,
Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back