Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
edmonton
Hello everyone! I am a 21-year-old Caucasian male with no history of ALS in my family. I have an anxiety disorder, along with hypochondria - I am reluctant to say that latter but know this is pertinent to disclose.

A week and a half ago, I felt perfectly fine, no symptoms of ALS. Then I noticed what felt like 'wobbly legs' (but no clumsiness.) I'm a tip toe walker (Asperger's) and can still walk on my tip toes - there doesn't appear to be any weakness of the leg muscles.

Approx. a week ago, I felt a 'twinge' in my right side/outer part of my right elbow. It went away now, but I started doing a great deal of ALS strength tests repeatedly during the day, such as picking up heavy objects between thumb and index finger, among other tests,) to try to gauge whether or not I have ALS, (which may have impacted my arm.) I am also an avid computer user, often using the keyboard and mouse. I 'passed' all of the strength tests that I was performing.

I was also frequenting this forum to learn more about symptoms. I did read the 'Read first before posting' in this forum and do not feel I exhibit clinical weakness or clumsiness (symptoms of ALS.) However, I would still like to post this because of a contradiction that I noticed. I'm glad to see from the sticky I read, that it doesn't appear that I have ALS, but I would like to ask you guys about a contradiction.

What I am feeling now (possibly as a result of the strength test), is pain in the right elbow, down to my hand/thumb and index finger (which was the hand I was performing the tests on.) I also find that the pain is not consistently there, sometimes it's more sore in one place than another, then in a little while it can switch to another spot, and at other times I don't notice it. When I wake up, I barely notice pain. (When it is paining, it is a low level of pain, perhaps 3/10.)

According to what many of the members on this ALS forum are saying, (as well as other medical info.), is that there generally needs to be clinical weakness presenting first, prior to pain - and I didn't present in this manner. (I felt pain/soreness more-so.) Another thing I noticed on medical websites is that they have stated symptoms are so mild to begin with, that you may not even notice them at first (which is worrisome.)

However, despite seeing my psychiatrist (who obviously was a medical physician prior to taking advanced studies to become a psychiatrist), who didn't see reason to examine me for ALS (from my description of symptoms), I am still concerned.

I will continue to seek help for my anxiety and hypochondria. I guess I am just worried, what if this isn't hypchondria - I have noticed some members have reported pain prior to clinical weakness, so in those cases, I have to wonder, what if I am like that, and am also presenting in a non-typical manner (as to the usual presentation of ALS.)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and respond! I appreciate your responses! (I have no intention to keep on and on about it with further posts, I just really would like to hear some input on this from you guys.)

Yeah, forget ALS. There's not any reason whatsoever to get tested.

Regarding the pain/weakness issue: There isn't a contradiction--there is a nuance.

Understand that ALS is not a muscle disease. There's nothing in the muscle or attacking the muscle--the muscle is not a problem.
In ALS, the brain simply does not tell the muscle to move.
That's all. The brain doesn't order the muscle to move, so people think there is something wrong with the muscle. It's in the brain.

Specifically, the neurons dedicated to the VOLUNTARY muscles (leg, foot, arms, etc) are destroyed by ALS, one by one, in serial order, over a period of months or years. So the patient starts out, typically, wondering why her finger isn't buttoning a blouse, or the toes no longer point upward when she wants them to.

Note that only the "muscle activating" nervous system is involved. Not the sensory system. So ALS is not causing pain in your arm.

When People with ALS say they have pain, it's a different thing. If your muscles have been paralyzed (limp, hanging useless) for some weeks or months, IT's GONNA HURT. Joints get really uncomfortable. Swelling hurts. Your body weight squishing your thighs against the chair--in one position, never moving, that hurts.

Hope that helps everyone understand ALS a little better.

Wow, Atsugi! Thank you very much for such an informative, detailed and extremely reassuring reply. You answered back so quickly and I appreciate that. Everything you are saying makes perfect sense! You really gave a great explanation that despite everything I had previously read, I see now I didn't fully understand. Now, I do! Thanks!!!!

It's clear you recognize you don't have ALS. I am glad you are receiving treatment for your anxiety. Hypochondria is debilitating. I think challenging the accepted pattern here will do you no good and actually may do you more harm as it keeps you focused on ALS and not addressing your not at all related to ALS physical symptoms. You know you don't have ALS. We also know you don't have ALS.

One way to help resolve your concerns is to see a decent physiotherapist. First appointment is physical assessment and identifying areas of concern. A physio can assess your painful arm, provide exercises to help eliminate discomfort and measure baseline strength. A follow up session can identify any lingering issues and again measure strength. If the physio thinks there's a non structural/mechanical issue causing issues, they will be able to recommend to your gp what needs to be looked at.

Best wishes in your search for wellness. I am glad you do not belong here.

Thank you, ShiftKicker, for your kind response! It makes so much sense what you are saying, and makes me feel relieved as well. On that note, I am very sorry that you and others here do have ALS. I will think about getting in to see a physiotherapist, it sounds like sound advice.

This is a very warm group of forum members, I am really grateful for such kind and understanding responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back