Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Mississippi
City
Jackson
Hi everyone,

I have read countless blogs about "Do I have ALS", but am still worried.

I am a 27 year old male who is usually pretty healthy. I used to run and workout about 5 days a week until I took about 2 months off for the holidays.

On December 17th, I began noticing random individual twitches all over my body, but I didn't think anything of it. December 20th, I came down with the flu and never left the couch for about a week. After I got better, I continued feeling the random individual twitches all over; typically whenever I was sitting on the couch watching tv or doing something relaxing. Of course when I search for these symptoms, ALS is the fist thing to pop up. Now I am terrified of it.

I went to my general physician and he said the twitching is related to dehydration from the flu and stress. My grandmother passed away 2 months ago, my brother went to jail, my dad just got remarried on December 9th, and my wife is pregnant with our first child (due in April) so it probably is stress.

Since then, I still notice the random individual twitches all over my body, my left leg feels like it is vibrating slightly whenever I am lying down, I occasionally feel like I have a lump in my throat and randomly start gagging, though I have not felt that in a little while. I have also noticed my left pinky finger felt a little stiff this morning at work (I work at a computer) and I cannot tell if I am enunciating my words properly or not.

I probably wouldn't worry about this so much, but it is coming up on 4 years since my mother passed away from heart disease. After reading ALS symptoms, I began to wonder if she may have had it; though it was never medically diagnosed. She had muscle jerks, muscle atrophies, trouble keeping her head up, fatigue, trouble going up and down stairs (she even fell a few times down them), and she gradually began losing her voice. The doctors never could explain it, but attributed it to her heart problems. She was 67 when she passed.

Now I have started working out again (no troubles working out), and even ran 2.5 miles with no problems last night, but I am still worried. I am constantly muscle testing myself to make sure everything is ok. I am going to see a counselor this Friday, but the more reassurance I get, the better I will feel. Thank you for any help you all can offer.

Mod note: moved post to own thread.

Fasttwitch. Please post on this thread. Posting on another's thread means their questions may not get answered.

Sorry about that! I was having a difficult time finding out how to post a new thread.

You wrote nothing whatsoever that points to ALS, either for you or your mom.

Stress, yep, lots. ALS, no, not at all.

I agree with Mike, and wonder what would ever lead you to this site.
Al

Thanks everyone for the response!

I think part of what lead me to thinking about it was from my friend coming over and we watched that Gleason documentary. I just remember the part where he went to the doctor for his muscle twitching and I automatically jumped to conclusions. Then looking at google did not help.

Thanks again for all of the responses and I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back