Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Yorkshire
City
Leeds
Firstly, I have read the sticky with regards to twitching and fasciculations. What I'm not clear about is if any of my other symptoms are clinically meaningful or not.

M, 37. Started with twitching in my cheek (not my eyelids) but I have strong fasciculations in both calves, full time. I think they stop when I'm walking around but not 100% sure. I'm aware that neither of these are diagnostic for ALS and much more likely to be BFS.

My GP said it was very unusual to see fasciculations like mine, did a load of blood tests all of which came back normal bar one which was previously abnormal and has been for years and is unlikely to be relevant. Referred to Neuro immediately who I saw last week.

As far as I know, I passed all the neuro tests in terms of reflexes and strength but am being referred for an MRI scan (I think of my brain) and an EMG but these won't happen for 6 weeks due to the delays in our health service. He thinks my face twitch and the fasciculations in my leg may even be unrelated.

Aside from the twitches, I have quite a lot of muscle soreness (my left bicep is sore in use and when I move my arm but not to the touch or at rest) and my calf muscles are sore and my hands feel stiff and crampy. Picking things up with my left hand and arm is more difficult - I can still pick my child up for example but not for long. I'm also dropping things more.

Am I right in thinking if this was ALS I wouldn't be able to pick her up at all rather than it being harder? (The failing rather than feeling bit in the sticky) And is ALS stiffness in individual fingers etc rather than whole limb muscles?

My leg fasciculations are clearly visible under the skin in both legs.

ALS does not present as you describe, with soreness + twitching + fatigue in all the muscles you mention. I would look to optimize stress, nutrition (including B vitamins and iron), hydration and sleep while you await your tests.

Best,
Laurie

ALS does not present as you describe, with soreness + twitching + fatigue in all the muscles you mention. I would look to optimize stress, nutrition (including B vitamins and iron), hydration and sleep while you await your tests.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you - I will report back either way just in case anyone finds this thread in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back