Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NM
City
Santa fe
Hey guys, so I really want you to bear with me. I tend to be a hypochondriac but this is the worst I’ve ever ago. I’ve had bad anxiety for the past couple weeks, but ive noticed twitching all over my body. From hands, to feet thighs shoulders etc. I’ve also had bad cramping that comes off and on in my legs and hands. my most concerning symptom is problems swallowing. I have this feeling like their is something is my throat when I eat. I can eat like normal and down food, and liquids, sometimes the feeling isn’t even there. But I sometimes get tired chewing lately, (symptom for about a week and a half) and for about 5 days now, I’ve had trouble swallowing. I’m horribly afraid that I might have Bulbar onset. This is consuming me. I haven’t made an appointment yet. Also I’m a 20 year old male. Please help?

The best help you can get in this situation is the help you give yourself, J. Call a GP, FP or internist and make an appointment.

The odds are incredibly in your favor against ALS and pretty much anything serious, so you need have no fear about the outcome. I know it's scary, but it will be worth it, for the reassurance you will receive.

Best,
Laurie

Swallowing, Pain and Cramping worries

Hey guys, I’ve been really worried that I could have bulbar onset or ALS. For the past 4-5 days I’ve been cramping all over my body. Specifically my right hand and right leg. I’ve also found it really hard to swallow,l. I can drink liquids but food tends to be a challenge. I have hyper active reflexes, (I checked on my own) but I don’t know if that’s valid or if I’ve always had those. I have twitching all over my body as well. Anyways, I’m scared out of my mind. I’m a twenty year old male, healthy, no symptoms at all prior to three weeks ago. Not even twitching.

Mod note: Merged threads. Please keep posting on just this thread. It helps members see your posting history and will allow for better advice.

Re: Swallowing, Pain and Cramping worries

ALS does not present as you have described. Repeat: see a doc.

The twitching with muscle cramps all at once? That’s not ALS?

Does not sound like ALS at all. I have bulbar onset. I have never felt like there was a lump in my throat, that is not an ALS symptom. And swallowing thin liquids is the FIRST thing that becomes difficult, with solid food becoming hard later on. I can no longer drink water at all, but I still eat most foods by mouth.

What about the random pain all over my body, and twitches? Especially in my right pinky finger and both of my hands. I haven’t seen any weakness, just pain and soreness all over. I’ve read that that’s how some people saw their ALS coming on, cramping and what not

Not sure where you're reading that.
I have limb onset. I originally went to my DOCTOR with a concern about a pinched nerve. I could not hold my pen at work.
If you're concerned go see a doctor. Asking random strangers on the Internet is not going to help diagnose what is wrong.

Angie

Angie's right- you can't get much more help here. Particularly as you've been told a few times you don't have ALS and that your information (wherever you got it from) is wrong.

Please seek answers from your doctor. Feel free to come back after your appointment to let us know what they said- but until you see a doctor, further posting here is not appropriate.

Hey guys, just an update. So the doctors all think that my Dysphagia is due to Ackd Reflux. But I still can’t shake ALS from my head. I went to my GP today and he laughed it off. I’ve been having random pain all over my body. And my hands have been cramping. I was diagnosed with Ulnar nerve entrapment a couple weeks ago. (I benched pressed at the Gym and felt a shock run through my arm.)

Anyways, my symptoms are

Fasiculations- They have gone away quite a bit, but every now and again I’ll get rumbles in my legs. Or twitches anywhere

Hyperflexia? - I think I have hyperflexia in my right knee. I haven’t gotten it checked professionally but I was testing it myself.

Weakness-I have no clinical weakness that I know of. Sometimes I think I maybe weak. My hand has felt very awkward since my (ulnar nerve entrapment.) I’ve gotten really scared because there have been nights where my arm goes completely limp because I’ve fallen asleep on top of it. It’s haopening way more often.

I also felt my leg buckling at the gym the other day after only a few squats.

This is making me worried sick. I know you guys will probably laugh, but I am so worried. I’ve had a family friend die from this disease and I’ve seen what’s happened. I was completely fine three weeks ago. I’m so scared now. And I don’t think I can see my GO again anytime soon

J, we're not laughing at you, but we're always amazed that someone would wish a disease like ALS on themselves. Imagine that you were pinned under a car in an accident, and someone came walking by and said, "Help! I'm pinned under a car!"

You are scaring yourself sick. Literally.

Your doc just told you today, don't worry, but you are worrying.

So the only advice I can provide is to seek [better] counseling for your health anxiety. You do not have ALS, and if you keep thinking you do, you will lose your ability to enjoy the healthy life that most here would give a great deal to have.

It is normal to be more aware of ALS when you lose a friend, and I am sorry for that, but nothing can be gained for any of us by your hanging out to ask the same question. Get help, and stop back by when you realize you have something positive to share with those in a similar state.

Best,
Laurie

Hey guys just a doctor visit update,

I just got an endoscopy done to see what was causing my dysphagia. Turns out I have classic GERD. Nothing too serious like throat or stomach cancer either, but it completely explains why I’ve had off and on swallowing difficulties. My speech is completely fine so I think that can help me put my mind more at eyes for bulbar onset.

That being said, I’ve still had cramping and pain in my hands. Specifically my right leg, and a pulling biting sendation in my hamstring. No lose of any strength anywhere. But the twitching complained with bits of cramping still has me worried, so I have a neuro appointment in two weeks. I’m still nervous but if I get a clean exam and emg I’ll feel better. Thanks for letting me give you on update. I won’t post again till I find out what the neuro tells me

UPDATE

So I saw my first neuro today. She did a thorough clinical exam. Babinksi, relfexes, muscle strength etc. examined my body for consistent fasiculations. She said everything was completely normal. She wouldn’t leave until I had peace of mind.

Well, to be honest. I felt more scared than ever. I usually have widespread twitching but nothing showed up when she checked. She also refused me an emg because she said the insurance probably won’t cover it since I have no ALS symptoms. She sees no atrophy, nothing. Still, I didn’t believe her.

So I have come to the realization that I need help with my anxiety. I’be gone to a counselor twice already and it was fine. I would be lying if I told you guys that I feel completely in the clear, but I know it’s probably not best to post here anymore. I realized if by some small chance I do have ALS, there’s nothing I can really do about it, and that I should live my life to the fullest no matter what.

Thank you all very much for your help and insight. My prayers are with you all. Again, I’m still worried that I could have it, but I won’t waste anyone’s time here. Hopefully I wont have to be on this forum at all anymore! Again thank you and God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back