Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Hi All ,

I hope you are all having a wonderful day and hopefully a good start to the new year. I thought I would reach out to the experienced members of this forum to have some idea of whether or not some of the symptoms I have been dealing with are representative of that of ALS/ other motor neuron diseases.

Over the last few months I have went through an array of symptoms, which have left me worried to say the least (generally not an anxious individual!) I find it is helpful as a reader to break points into clear subsections so thought I would list the symptoms below a bit more succinctly. For context, I am a 23 year old male in otherwise good health:

Muscle Twitches:

It had began with me dealing with almost wide spread, on/off twitches across the body (hands, legs, arms, eyelids etc.) which I had other wise brushed off until recently the twitching has become a lot more aggressive (almost cramp like) in a localized area in the right elbow. This twitch is not 24/7 however comes and goes quite frequently throughout the day over the last week or so.

Pain:

Occasionally I get odd bouts of pain in various limbs, where it be the finger, arm, leg etc. The pain is almost sudden, but is short lived in nature.

Feeling of Disorientation:

Every since these symptoms have began, I have had a perpetual feeling of being "disoriented" almost like I am afraid that I will fall however do not - almost feel like I need to sit/lie down instantly. This feeling is quite worrisome to me.

Sensory Symptoms:

I have gotten an array of sensory symptoms such as numbness in a hand upon waking (subsides almost immediately after) or random buzzing sensations in various parts of the body. I have also had an almost intermittent internal vibrating in the legs which I found slightly odd.

I have seen my GP about this and he had mentioned that he does not believe it is anything however reffered me to a neurologist. My visit to the neurologist was rather underwhelming as after decribing my symptoms he had spent 15/30 minutes explaining benign symptoms without actually administering any tests. The tests he administered were the standard hammer on knee and elbow along with push/pull strength tests that were and can be done by my GP.

He went on to say he believes I do not have anything but refereed me to a neurologist specializing in nerves to be sure. While this may take upto 3 months, I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions here - any responses are greatly appreciated!

Muscle Twitches:Nope.

Pain:Nope.

Feeling of Disorientation:Nope.

Sensory Symptoms:Nope.

As mentioned, please read the Pinned Post.

Thank you very much for your responses. I have read the stickies and I find it quite informative and appreciate all the guidance and wisdom everyone has on this site.

One question I had - more so for understanding the disease itself was the manifestation of symptoms. Is it possible for a fasiculation (either wide-spread or localized) to be the initial symptom of ALS? Perhaps accompanied by cramping ? There have been other stories that I have read from other individuals with ALS that says this however I am sure the individuals here have various opinions.

I was also curious about the progression of the disease. What is the "typical" symptom path that someone would follow? E.g. weakness would transpire into fasiculations which would then may be trouble using the larger affected muscle group etc.

Again I truly appreciate your time and wisdom in this topic!

If it is anything, it seems systemic. If you have not had labs drawn, that would be a thought for your GP. Sleep, stress, diet, hydration and exercise are all approaches to consider.

ALS, thankfully, there is no reason to consider.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back