Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
GA
City
Monticello
This is a great site for those of us battling the questions and anxiety relqted to the subject matter. It has calmed me some. I read the sticky. My stuff started with forearm spasms on both arms. Also would feel twitching in both hands. As my concern grew so did the twitches and started to have in legs and feet and occasionally upper back and face. After a couple of weeks, my hands began to draw slightly when feeling for the right key or typing. Nothing i cant control, just pulling and slightly less coordinated dexterity than usual. That was enough to get me to my GP. By that time i had used doctor google to drive myself nutty (and my wife w my worry). I told GP my concern regarding ALS and twitching and change in my my hand motor function. He did very basic strength tests and I had no issues. He definitely thought i was over blowing the situation. That was 2 days ago. I remain worried and have set up a neuro appt. Other than dexterity and twitching, no other major changes. Is the fact that my twitching and hand issues started in both hands good, bad or neither? Im 42 year old male otherwise active and healthy. So sorry to those that are suffering with this disease.

If it started simultaneously in both hands, that points away from ALS. Nothing in your post sounds like ALS and that makes me happy for you.

Please enjoy this wonderful time of the year with your wife and stop worrying about ALS. Return after your neuro appointment and let us know what she/he said.

Thanks for reply. Unfortunately have to wait till Jan 18th neuro. The mind can do alot to man between now and then. Loss of dexterity is concerning me more than twitching actually. Still good strength but fingers a little uncoordinated. Is this a reason for worry?

I feel bad for letting this affect my familys Christmas but the worry is consuming. I have no appetite and have hardly slept this week. I know intellectually thats not helping me and prob making symptoms worse. Im anxious just waiting for my hands to stop working since they dont seem to be improving. Gonna be a long month waiting to see neuro.

Relax. The odds of having ALS are like winning a lottery. And being diagnosed after a couple weeks of symptoms is unheard of. Stay away from Dr Google and enjoy the holidays. You have a much bigger chance of dying in a car accident. And you still drive.
Vincent

As a huge Pearl Jam fan i love the Steve Gleason no white flags campaign. Awesome. I have to figure out a way to not ruin Christmas between now and my Neuro appointment in Jan. Ive made peace with the twitches im concerned about my loss of dexterity in my hands. I feel silly posting this considering what people are going through on this forum but im losing my mind w anxiety about what im experiencing which may be nothing but the hands finger coordinating different than they did a week ago is troubling. The neuro will be my beat verdict but im struggling in the mean time.

Well, from what you've posted, please don't ruin your family's Christmas, or yours, with worry about ALS. Nothing you've posted sounds even remotely how ALS starts.

Losing whole hand strength all at once so soon? Nope, not how ALS works. Please stop your posting and enjoy your family for the holidays and for many years to come.

Most people that are diagnosed with ALS never saw it coming, nor did they post frantically on forums until a Neuro already mentioned it to them, at least in our case anyway.

Again, enjoy the holidays with your family. Feel blessed that you have the gift of health.

Georgia, you mentioned nothing that would be ALS. You're going to live. Question is: HOW are you going to do your living? Good luck.

Thanks for your input. It helps. I picked up guitar last night to test if i could still form chords. I can but it feels like im working hard to do it, as if the forearm wrist is fatigued before i even start playing. Hopefully it doesnt continue to degrade.
Perhaps a few weeks of tension and anxiety have affected my forearms and hands and thats leading to the weakness in my hands. I don't know. I hope it doesn't progress as i know that will exacerbate my worry. Im not at "fail", but scared its just a matter of time. Probably irrational but thats where im at. Hope you all have a joyful Christmas.

Sorry for another post. For some reason as i sit here at work with my forearms aching and my hands stubbornly doing what I want, I keep ready accounts of peoples situations and am up and down. One clarification is people dont start out at a "fail" correct? Wouldnt it be a progression of symptoms. That part confuses me especially as i continue to have trouble with my hands. Its going to be a long road to the neuro appointment.

As you've been told, no, doesn't sound like ALS symptoms.

My husband started with a fail and everyone we've met through the ALS association started with a fail.

Your neuroses has got the better of you and that's terribly sad. Please go see someone before the 18th to help with your anxiety.

Last edited:
I know. My wife says the same thing. Ive put in a call to pcp to see if he can recommend something to help me relax. Knowing myself that wont happen as long as my hands keep reminding me something is wrong. Have i created the tension in my forearms and hands that causing my reduction 8n function? Maybe. Mind is a powerful thing i guess and i see people write that stress can cause muscle stiffness and weakness.

I mean no disrespect to you all who have this disease by posting. I was just walking in the park to try to relax at lunch. Its cool weather and by time i was done my forearms and hands were so stiff had trouble moving them. I cant tell whats stress and whats real. Feels real.

Georgia Boy- you are skirting the edge of inappropriate posting now. This forum is not set up to deal with what is coming across as a panic attack. While you state you mean no disrespect, continuing to post after folks have provided you reassurance your symptoms are not ALS means you are not listening.

Please do not post again- this place is feeding your anxiety and reassurances are clearly not helping. See your doctor.

Update since last post.

ER visit..basic exam and bloodwork came back normal
Return visit to GP to see if he could help speed up me getting in w a Neuro vs my current Jan 18 appt. GP did another examination and strength reflex tests. Saw no issues. Told him i was struggling mightly worried about this and he prescribed some anxiety meds which i started 5 days ago.
Saw an hand MD yesterday. She did the most extensive physical exam ive had to this point. Saw no concerns but had no answers of why my hands feel weak, twitchy and slightly uncoordinated. Told her hard to work on computer due to pain at pinky side of palm and my worries of this progressing. This facility does EMGs so they are going to set me up for the tests. I will keep Nuero appt but hopefully test will happen sooner than later. Still terrified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back