Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Eng
State
Yorkshire
City
Bradford
Good morning all, It’s a little advise I’m seeking as all the doc’s I’ve seen and test done have drawn a blank, but the fact remains, my condition is getting worst? I'm not sure what I have but I'm thinking its got to be a nero issue as everything else it coming back as clear, but I'm still getting weaker... How long can neuro issues take to cuse problems?

It all started about 6-7 years ago (I’m 53 now) when I was getting random muscle pain in my arms, legs etc... I started going to the gym and did notice some times were easier than others but pressed on. About 5 years ago I was at the gym and maybe didn’t warm up enough... I was on the machine where you work your chest muscles or so I thought... end result was a split 6 pack.. a big rip up the middle that gave me a frontal hernia. Now at this point, you may think it’s just one of those things... but I’m now questioning if for some reason, even then, my middle was weak...
Come forward to this year.... in-between the aches pains got worst.. tired, sometimes could not think straight.. concentration issues... some good days / months, some bad, but again a general decline. So 2017... bit of a step change.. My frontal hernia that was the size of a small triangular chocolate bar (you know the one), suddenly became quite large.. and I could feel the muscles had reduced and had curled up at the edges somewhat. I also started with breathing issues as I had the feeling that my diaphragm had become weak and was not doing its job... also pain in my mid back (around from my split) where my muscles would burn and become very sore...
Move on to the last 3 months.. breathing even worst.. feels like fluid in the lungs but doc says clear, upper chest sometimes sore, restriction in throat, and voice being affected a tad.. can’t say it’s hard to swallow but when I’m not eating, swallowing, it just feels like my throat is closing up. I’m still trying to go to the gym but its hard now and my muscles swell up afterwards so I need to take anti-inflammatory so it does not hurt. I was running 10K over the last 7 years once a week.. that came down to 5, then 3... now I can’t run as it feels like all my insides are loose and moving about?
Right now, I have front and rib pain, what feels like a hole in my front middle, back pain, restricted breathing and a sore throat.. also upper chest tight. Can’t sleep right well (fall off for 2 hours but then wake) so tired, no stamina, little enthusiasm... very weak in front to the point of can’t list much.. and on tablets as about 12 months ago I started getting tingling in fingers and toes (sometimes in face).... Did I mention alcohol intolerance.. struggle with a pint now and next day it feels like my muscles are so weak....
Was at the docs again yesterday.. and she’s saying acid re-flux and recommended Gaviscon?
Starting to struggle a bit both with myself and no diagnosis as I’ve seen Neuro, Muscular skeletal, had cameras both ends, a number of MRI and CT scans.. all clear.. never had a head scan but maybe that next.
Apart from the split, anyone else got anything similar where they are getting physically weaker over time... some places muscle reduction, but my arms / legs other than aching appear fine.... All very strange. I look forward to any suggestions and comments.... Thanks

Nothing in your description suggests ALS. It does sound like you had a significant injury to your chest wall muscles, however. My suggestions would be to continue to work with your doctor on pain management and also physical therapy. You may also have some gastroesophageal reflux. If you are using non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (such as Ibuprofen or Naproxen) on a regular basis, be aware that these can aggravate reflux and other stomach issues.

Second the physical therapy and breathing exercises as well.

This hernia you mention -- it was repaired surgically? Have you returned to the surgeon for a consult?

It sounds like diastasis recti. This is when the two sides of the rectus abdominus muscles separate. It is usually found in pregnant women and overweight people. This is the connective tissue(fascia) tearing apart. When you do a crunch you will note there is a ridge going up the middle of your abdomen. I have this too and it has nothing to do with ALS. Unfortunately there is nothing to be done with it physio wise or surgically. It isn't harmful its just an annoyance. Sit back, Pour yourself a drink, relax and enjoy the holidays. It's not fatal.
Vincent

Hi All.. and many thanks for your replies..., yes I do have a diastasis recti and your right, they can't do anything with it... but its not meant to hurt or give other symptoms.
But what I'm getting is like my core muscles, intercostal, lungs and now throat are all getting weaker... I was just thinking back and wondering if the diastasis recti was as a result of my core getting weak before I actualy noticed it myself... anyway, forget the diastasis recti.. this year as I say, my front (abs) diaphragm, back, intercostal and now my upper chest and throat are all getting weaker?.. I'm not saying it is Als, but just wondering how long things thake to show, what initial symtoms are, and if it tie up with anything anyone can think of :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back