Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Uk
City
London
Hi - first post and apologies if I’m on the wrong section.
I have a range of symptoms but not going to ask people to second-guess if they mean I have ALS, my question is:
Had a neuro exam this week and, other than Fasciculations, the neuro said in his report “no other objective abnormalities with the limbs” but also referred me for an EMG and NCS (my insurance will pay for this).
If this is the case and the EMG comes back in the manner(s) that they do for ALS, would a diagnosis be possible under these circumstances - ie since I believe it’s primarily a clinical diagnosis and given the neurologist’s comments?
Thank you for reading.

If a neurologist found no objective abnormalities on exam other than fasiculations, then you are not likely to have ALS. S/he probably ordered the EMG to give you peace of mind and also to make sure they weren’t missing some other condition.

It sounds like you’re asking if ALS can be diagnosed from the EMG in the absence of objective findings in physical exam, and the answer is no. ALS is a clinical diagnosis that requires weakness documented by exam, consistent EMG abnormalities, upper motor neuron findings, demonstration of disease progression, and ruling out other conditions with similar symptoms.

Thanks Karen, that’s exactly the question I was asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back