Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Scotland
City
Glasgow
Hi - I've had twitching for 2 years, initially in the feet arches and calves, now more widespread (arms, back, fingers). Slight feeling of cramp in hand and left calf.
Went to the neuro regarding increased twitches and was worried about shrinkage of muscles around my thumbs. Neuro did a few checks - reflexes at elbows and wrists, got me to hold out arms (check for wrist drop?), and spread my fingers and test that he couldn't close them, and the strength of the thumb. On the back of this he said "no further tests are needed" - I assume he found everything in order. So no EMG or nerve conduction study, meaning that only EMG I've ever had was after 3 or 4 months of twitching, which was normal except he noted "fascs".
Should I push for another EMG? My body feels pretty wretched most of the time - muscle pain, some joint pain, neck feels week and throats lumpy. I still function outwardly normally. Could I have a slow-burning case of ALS? Thank you.

As long as you continue to function normally, then you don’t need to worry about having ALS, no matter how much you twitch or feel funny. If you read the stickies at the top of this forum, you’ll see that ALS is about failing, not feeling.

We have had some posts here recently from numerous people who have had random symptoms for years and no significant failures of functionality. Karen is so right, and stickies, stickies, stickies!

ALS is a progressive condition and parts/ things just stop working. You don’t “feel” things, they just fail.

As you're presenting NO ALS symptoms, I'd dismiss you too!

Thank you for your replies.
A couple of photos attached of my palm where the thenar muscles look a little wasted?

Attachments

• 529EF945-282B-4203-B011-59246F110544.jpg
    529EF945-282B-4203-B011-59246F110544.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 581
  • 7377AB28-A22C-42FE-B929-6E090E7E2B65.jpg
    7377AB28-A22C-42FE-B929-6E090E7E2B65.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 598
Pictures don’t tell us much, but your thumb muscles look fine to me. You’ll be much happier if you stop obsessing about ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back