Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Wisconsin
City
Madison
HI everyone, I did read the sticky posts before starting this post, but I'm just a nervous wreck and I was wondering if someone could enlighten me regarding my symptoms.

About a week ago My right index finger and thumb started twitching. It won't stop. Its like once every minute or so every time of the day. It's not obvious and mostly i can just feel that it's doing this. Mostly it's at rest but its also when I'm moving my hands while talking. I because completely freaked and saw 2 doctors who attributed it to stress. Now, My arms are going weak, I feel pin pricks on my arms and left foot. I feel like my arm is weaker on the right side. In the past (6 months ago) I had parasthesias in my left arm around finals week and I felt a little uncoordinated (I'm a student). I ran to the ER and got a cervical and brain MRI which revealed nothing. My blood panels were normal and I have normal neuro tests. Im worried this is all connected.

I have to mention that I have pretty severe health anxiety and OCD. So bad that I've been in the hospital multiple times for panic attacks and going to the hospital the second I get a symptom of anything. I'm getting help for it now (meds and psychologist).

I read on the sticky post that weakness is a sign of ALS. My weakness is more of percieved weakness. Like my right arm feels weaker than the left, but I can still type normally, have equal grip strength and do day to day things. Is the weakness in ALS "real"--meaning the weakness manifests instead of just being perceived? Or is percieved weakness also a sign?

Does the finger twitching raise an alarm? My doctor said it could be due to stress (this past month has been one of the most stressful of my life) but it just seems weird that there is weakness on one side and twitching in one or 2 fingers.... I have noticed in the last few months that I twitch every now and again mostly on the right side...like eyelid twitches, leg twitches, arm twitches, lip twitches, but this twitch is just constant.

I'm just a basket case and I wanted another opinion from people who know this disease well. I'm sorry if this came off unorganized or abrupt. I just cannot focus on school work or life and it's really getting in the way of relationships and friendships.

Thank you

You read the Sticky and yet you still ask about twitching? Arg!! :-(

Weakness in ALS is Clinical Weakness. We don't "feel" weak, we simply are weak.
I "feel" NO different than before, but my legs no longer move.

Go get your health anxiety treated, we don't deal with that here.

Good luck!

You read the Sticky and yet you still ask about twitching? Arg!! :-(

Weakness in ALS is Clinical Weakness. We don't "feel" weak, we simply are weak.
I "feel" NO different than before, but my legs no longer move.

Go get your health anxiety treated, we don't deal with that here.

Good luck!

I'm sorry I really didn't mean to be offensive or annoying. I just had to ask. I feel like I've put my loved ones through enough grief asking about symptoms, I just wanted to get some feedback here. I'll continue to get help for anxiety. Thanks for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it. Wishing you a happy holidays.

No offense, Newtie!

We're simply not equipped to deal with Health Anxiety!

Again, Good Luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back