Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
City
North Jersey
I saw a neurologist two weeks ago and an EMG and MRI were ordered. Also lab tests.

Lab tests were mostly normal except for a high lymphocyte absolute which was over 40000. Saw results on portal.

Already had the EMG done last week but I don’t know the results yet. Not on portal yet. Not suppose to see doctor again until MRI is done.

Condition has deteriorated. Gluteal muscles are just about gone on left side and weakness has developed in the hip gluteal area. Bending causes an immediate shortness of breath and squatting is now impossible. Sitting down is very awkward due to extensive atrophy of left gluteal muscles.

Walking is harder now due to the atrophy of my left foot. It’s an uneven walk. Don’t notice weakness there though. Maybe the gluteal atrophy has something to do with that?

ALS was mentioned as a possibility. As was MS and thyroid disorders. Thyroid disorders are now ruled out as those tests were normal.

MS appears to be less likely due to the rapid atrophy but the other symptoms were consistent with MS. MS causes atrophy but typically not this early on. Usually over many years. But it’s still a possibility due to the varying nature of the disease.

The atrophy with weakness now has me really worried ALS will be the ultimate result.

The doctor who did the emg was not your primary neurologist and did not tell you anything? I truly believe if the EMG was suspicious for ALS you would have heard something even though the MRI is still pending. Usually when a test doctor finds something really bad they pick up the phone and call the ordering physician.

Results like EMGs are often longer to post to portals. In my system blood results post immediately But ultrasounds, MRIs and EMGs among other things have to be released by the doctor before you can see them. If you are not seeing the neuro for a bit you could call and ask for a result

the needle portion of the emg im pretty sure has to be done by an MD. So they are allowed to speculate or declare the results (unlike a tech, who would tell you you have to wait for the ordering doctor to get in touch). If I were you I would look up the doctor who did the emg and call their office asking him to call you back. Then you could ask them if they saw anything suggesting ALS. I do think like Nikki said it's good news that you weren't told anything. After my EMG, right there still sitting on the exam table, the doctor that performed it gave me a tentative diagnosis of MND and referred me to the ALS clinic. Even though she wasn't the one who had ordered the EMG.

A doctor did perform the EMG but not the ordering doctor. The doctor who did the EMG is on staff at the office and exclusively does EMG’s.

He was noncommittal and didn’t indicate anything either way. He constantly talked about anything and everything besides medical issues. Guess they do that to keep patients calm. Was hoping for the, “I don’t see anything to worry about.”

So I’m a bit on edge but what’s been said makes sense and is reassuring. Watching my body slowly deteriorate is tough. I’ll have to call the office after work.

The doctor performing the EMG answered all my questions when he was doing it. He said it was suspicious for motor neuron "issues." That was the very first one performed, long before my diagnosis. Same with second and third opinions.

I also think if it looked like ALS, your doctor would hear before it went up on the portal and would call you. Why not call your ordering physician to see if the results have been communicated to him/her? That's usually what happens.

There was some abnormalities but nothing to suggest ALS. That’s a major relief. Thank you to everyone who replied. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back