Medical Update +Confirmed atrophy, knee pain, hip grinding, and leg weakness...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaga

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
Pittsford
Hello everyone,

I went for a checkup about 5 weeks ago. I had knee problems at the time, with buckling in either knee. Though AT THE TIME I did not have any issues with strength, There has been an increase in buckling in both knees (sporadic).

My left thigh has atrophy and when I walk I feel like my leg will collapse inwards, and I have a sort of stiff gait with my left leg. My knee pain occasionally kicks in, and my hip clicks close to my spine.

It's worse in the morning when I get out of bed, I walk all stiff with my left leg.

I did some weight exercises several weeks back:

Right Leg Press: 135 lbs

Left Leg Press: 120 lbs (surprising) + hip pain when I come down.

I have scheduled an appt. with my neurologist and will be seeing him in January.

I don't know what to make of this. I am able to do one leg squats, but when I hop on one leg, my left knee gives out easier than my right.

Also: After answering this question, please do ban me from the forum if I have nothing to worry about.

Everything you describe, including thigh atrophy, is consistent with arthritis in the knees or hips I’m not sure how you ended up on an ALS forum, or why ALS would even be a consideration based on what you have described to us. Did you have X-rays of your knees and hips? Any swelling in the knees?

Everything you describe, including thigh atrophy, is consistent with arthritis in the knees or hips I’m not sure how you ended up on an ALS forum, or why ALS would even be a consideration based on what you have described to us. Did you have X-rays of your knees and hips? Any swelling in the knees?

Thank you Karen. I do not have swelling in my knees but have yet to have an X-Ray. Basically my knees, when standing feel like they are gliding over the joints, a little TOO fluid.

And yes, the other stuff that I mentioned like the left thigh atrophy. The hip grinding led to some back pain though, and the knee pain came after walking around quite briskly for like half an hour. But surprisingly has subsided the past few days. My grandparents have arthritis (I'm 21 yrs old). They seem to have a constant pain...

Idk what to make of any of this :(

I haven't worked out in a long time so I don't know if my weight threshold has decreased. Is it normal to have a strength differential? or an uneven gait?

Thank you for your help though!!

You are repeating yourself, nothing points to ALS. Like Karen said it points to arthritis.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back