free6yu is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: New York
State: New York
Interest: Other
free6yu is on a distinguished road
Default Dysphagia for a month and a half

Hi all,

I want to thank anyone in advance who can shed some light on my situation.

Iím a 25 year old male with no existing health conditions. Starting about 6 months ago, Iíd occassionally have a period of 5-10 minutes where Iíd feel like I was unable to breathe well. This would happen sometimes while laying in bed, or simply after a long day at work.

About a month and a half ago, I was having dinner, and suddenly felt like the food would just not go down. I was having trouble initiating the swallow, but only with solid foods. I thought itíd go away by the next day, but same thing. The next day I saw my doctor who thought it was just a cold. Week later, same thing. I was referred to an ENT who performed a laryngoscopy and found nothing. I also had a barium swallow done, which found nothing other than slight acid reflux. Doctor recommended I take Prilosec for 14 days, which seemed to help after a couple of weeks.

The swallowing issue has since been intermittent. It got better for a bit, but the issue has started to resurface. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like I sometimes cannot begin the swallow. Almost like the food pauses in my throat, and I panic and grab water to help flush it down. In the last couple of days, I feel like I have excessive saliva and constantly need to swallow. I also notice that when I take the first sip of a drink, I sometimes have trouble beginning the swallow. But after the first swallow, I can continue drinking fine.

Iíve made the mistake of turning to Dr. Google, and while Iím trying to be rational, I just canít seem to understand why Iíve had this issue for over a month.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations on where to go from here? Iím seeing a GI doctor today who hopefully can shed some light.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:32 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Diagnosed: 06/2016
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Lkaibel is a name known to allLkaibel is a name known to allLkaibel is a name known to allLkaibel is a name known to allLkaibel is a name known to allLkaibel is a name known to all

City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Diagnosed: 06/2016
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Lkaibel is a name known to allLkaibel is a name known to allLkaibel is a name known to allLkaibel is a name known to allLkaibel is a name known to allLkaibel is a name known to all
Default Re: Dysphagia for a month and a half

The primary symptom of my own acid reflux is feeling like food is stuck in my throat. I think you got your diagnosis but they are checking everything out which is good. No reason at all for you to be in an ALS Forum.
Closed Thread

Tags
bed, cold, dysphagia, food, go away, health, ice, mistake, saliva, swallow, swallowing, work