Other
Country
US
State
New York
City
New York
Hi all,

I want to thank anyone in advance who can shed some light on my situation.

I’m a 25 year old male with no existing health conditions. Starting about 6 months ago, I’d occassionally have a period of 5-10 minutes where I’d feel like I was unable to breathe well. This would happen sometimes while laying in bed, or simply after a long day at work.

About a month and a half ago, I was having dinner, and suddenly felt like the food would just not go down. I was having trouble initiating the swallow, but only with solid foods. I thought it’d go away by the next day, but same thing. The next day I saw my doctor who thought it was just a cold. Week later, same thing. I was referred to an ENT who performed a laryngoscopy and found nothing. I also had a barium swallow done, which found nothing other than slight acid reflux. Doctor recommended I take Prilosec for 14 days, which seemed to help after a couple of weeks.

The swallowing issue has since been intermittent. It got better for a bit, but the issue has started to resurface. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like I sometimes cannot begin the swallow. Almost like the food pauses in my throat, and I panic and grab water to help flush it down. In the last couple of days, I feel like I have excessive saliva and constantly need to swallow. I also notice that when I take the first sip of a drink, I sometimes have trouble beginning the swallow. But after the first swallow, I can continue drinking fine.

I’ve made the mistake of turning to Dr. Google, and while I’m trying to be rational, I just can’t seem to understand why I’ve had this issue for over a month.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations on where to go from here? I’m seeing a GI doctor today who hopefully can shed some light.

The primary symptom of my own acid reflux is feeling like food is stuck in my throat. I think you got your diagnosis but they are checking everything out which is good. No reason at all for you to be in an ALS Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back