Old 11-07-2017, 05:40 AM #1 (permalink)
Banned

City: San Antonio
State: Texas
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Tavoh is on a distinguished road
Banned
Default Reporting back from doctor

Hey guys, I recently found atrophy in my left leg that was contributing to my weakness and slight limp. The quad is smaller than the right one and it's decently noticeable. I haven't tripped or fallen or lost my balance in any way and have no fasics. No Babinski sign and no clonus, my reflexes are brisk but symmetrical( may be the anxiety) but there's atrophy and a limp confirmed by a doctor. now it's not like I've been very active. The past 3 months I've been significantly bed bound. I would be in bed for about 16 hours a day at the least, sometimes the whole 24 hours. I would have a habit of crossing my left leg (the affected one) over the right one while laying down but not like completely, more like my left ankle would rest on my right knee with the left knee pointing out to the left. It wouldn't contract my left quad when I was in this position. Anyways I do simple strength tests at home such as sticking out my leg and the person tries to push the shin down and I resist, everytime nobody could tell any difference from the two. But I have atrophy with a limp? If im weak enough for a limp then why can I resist just as good with the affected leg? I mean, I can kick out my left leg faster when I walk and I can correct the limp sorta, I don't know , I'm just looking for opinions on my situation and if this sounds like als.

Last edited by Tavoh : 11-07-2017 at 05:45 AM
Old 11-07-2017, 12:08 PM #2 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud of
Forum Moderator

ShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do I have als?

Tavoh-

Go and see a doctor. This forum is not for you. You came here a few weeks ago and were advised to keep working with your doctor and that you didn't have ALS. Do not come here to conduct a survey about what people think you have. This is not a place to feed your health anxiety.

This may sound harsh to you. However, you are wasting your time and the time of the people here. I have no idea what is causing your symptoms, that is for a doctor to say. Please stop coming here to feed your anxiety about ALS.
Thanks from
GregK (11-07-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 06:41 AM #3 (permalink)
Banned

Banned
Default Reporting back from doctor

I went to the doctor to check me up and he said that my walking gate is fine and that I'm not limping, I still feel like I'm sorta jolting when I walk though but I'm trying not to think about it. I have a weird feeling of not really slurring but messing up my speech so I asked him if als presents itself with messing up a word or phrase here and there, such as saying "neurologist" in a sentence and messing it up but saying it again and getting it right the second time but only the word by its self, he said that he would "assume" that it would more of general slur, like you slur almost everything. This is very confusing to me because I don't really get it. Do you just wake up with a slur one day? Wouldn't it be gradual like messing up your "s" here and there? He claimed he's never had a als patient which leads me to beilive that he's not very reliable, so could anyone clarify how bulbar really begins.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:50 AM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pit of hot
State: FL
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Pit of hot
State: FL
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reporting back from doctor

No ...You wake up and have a loss of function.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:30 AM #5 (permalink)

City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Firefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really nice
City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really nice

I woke up talking like I had just been to the dentist, and had a tooth pulled. The first friend I seen that day asked me if I had been to the dentist. That is how suddenly it comes on the progress’s from there, never improving.
Al
Old 11-11-2017, 11:13 AM #6 (permalink)

City: Grafton
State: MA
Diagnosed: 03/2017
Kristina1 is on a very distinguished roadKristina1 is on a very distinguished road
City: Grafton
State: MA
Diagnosed: 03/2017
Kristina1 is on a very distinguished roadKristina1 is on a very distinguished road

For me it started during a bad flu, so I thought that was why. Then flu went away and my voice was still nasal and speech altered. It wasn't gradual, it just happened.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:05 PM #7 (permalink)
Banned

Banned

thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll let him know for the next guy, god bless
Old 11-11-2017, 01:27 PM #8 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator

Mod note: merged threads.

Tavoh, please don't start another thread when you already have an open one. It makes it very difficult for people to see your posting history and whole story.

I am glad your doctor had such good news for you and that they confirmed what the people here have told you- No ALS. That means you no longer need to be on this forum- which is excellent!
Old 11-11-2017, 02:08 PM #9 (permalink)
Banned

Banned

So just to clarify, it is not messing up a word here and there is overall slur with everything? Like if you speak perfectly aside from a phrase or two this is not bulbar. Sorry this is just for my own clarification
Old 11-11-2017, 02:30 PM #10 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator

Tavoh. Kristina answered you. Read her response carefully.

I am closing this thread. Do not start another. You have been cleared by a doctor and you have received many responses from knowledgeable people here. You simply do not have ALS however much you think you do. I wish you well, and I sincerely hope you are able to move on from this forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShiftKicker For This Useful Post:
Clearwater AL (11-11-2017), worrieddaughter77 (11-11-2017)
Closed Thread

Tags
als, als?, ankle, anxiety, atrophy, back, bed, bulbar, clonus, confusing, do i have als, do i have als?, hours, neurologist, speech, tests, weakness