Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Texas
City
Houston
Thank you all for your help.
I will be very short as I understand and respect everyone's time.

Yesterday I had NCV and EMG today and I don't have results yest in online portal.
2.Neurologist herself did the EMG and after test she said that everything is perfect. No fascinations and fibrillations and any evidence of ALS/ MND.

Though I am reassured , I have the below questions :
1. I only felt the needle gong deep in my hip area(Other areas I am not feeling pain now , may be she has not inserted deep) She did EMG and NCV on right side where I felt weakness. I have seen the waves and all and her playing with needles at different places. She said I will use the smallest needle for you. I am wondering if this can affect the result. Though she has around 16 years of experience I dont doubt her testing but just curious if that matters. Though at one place I felt deep and it even hurts now.

2.I am feeling some weakness on left limb too but EMG has not done on that . If ALS is present in left limb would it show on emg(fasciculations, fibrillations, etc) done on right side?

3. I am assuming that she did thorough EMG on my right lower hip area (based on the pain now due to insertion). As my weakness is in my right leg and right limb, would this EMG (at least the thorogh one on hip) show fascis, etc..if right hand and leg weakness is due to ALS?

In all scenarios I could able to hear buzzing sound of EMG machine ( I am thinking needle is touching something inside ).

Please help me with answers based on your experience.
Thank you all for the support .

Be happy that your Dr told you that you do not have ALS. I hope you find your issue soon, but ALS per your Dr is not it. Lucky you.

I love that we can so often reassure people.

Thank You Lkiabel. I read somewhere in the forum that "In ALS, EMG done on any muscle between brain and suspected area will show abnormal EMG since the disease is essentially related to the signals from brain to the affected area". Wondering if this is true. Thanks

If your EMG is clean, you do not have ALS. She used smaller needles to get a more accurate result. You do not have ALS.

Please don't ask us to second guess your doctor. If you have further questions, please ask her.

The needles do not go deep. They only need to reach the muscle. The hip muscle was deeper and harder to reach. Her techniques sounds fine

If you had some symptomatic muscles tested it is not necessary to test all.

If you had only symptoms in your left hand and had a completely fine right leg tested and nothing else it is POSSIBLE that something would be missed though in ALS very often the EMG is abnormal in places a PALS thinks fine. However this does NOT apply to you. Symptoms in right leg? Negative EMG? You are good to go. The doctor said no ALS! Congratulations!

Gee, I wish I'd been cleared of ALS.

But you on the other hand, are taking the Silver Lining and using it as toilet paper.

Step back and take a serious look at yourself.

Thank you NikkiJ for your time to reply. My symptoms are in right leg, right hand, right glute muscle, ritht hand and recently feeling in left hand (doctor says it is subjective and she dont see any atrophy in her measurements or weakness). As originally I went to Neuro complaining of right side weakness and atrophy, she did EMG and NCV on couple of spots on right side( toe to limb). She mentioned she would test if there is any nerve pinch , when I mentioned some pain in hip area.

GregK, I completely understand. I will take your suggestion. Thank you.

Multi id.closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back