Diagnosis
7/2004
Country
US
State
TX
City
Mesquite
Hello, all. I have posted before. My mom passed away from ALS in 2008. I had a clean EMG in 2016. A few days ago, I noticed that my left quad had a dent. Pics are attached. Is this what atrophy can look like? I know that it’s not the whole muscle getting smaller, but my right quad does not have this. I appreciate your input. Thank you!

Attachments

• 71346406-397A-414A-AFD8-84C8B8CC8F2B.jpg
    71346406-397A-414A-AFD8-84C8B8CC8F2B.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,253
  • AEFA3583-A69E-4838-80EC-815AAD3F80E8.jpg
    AEFA3583-A69E-4838-80EC-815AAD3F80E8.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 407
See no reason to worry.

Thank you so much, lgelb. I appreciate your response. More than you know :)

Just a note for all,

...at the top of the first page they are no longer called "Stickies".
It's now called "Important" in bold font.

Hi Holly- Looking over your posts for the last year and a half, it sounds like ALS is ever present in your mind given you have lost a loved one to it. Losing a parent to the disease must have been very difficult. Hypervigilance for possible symptoms would be at the forefront.

Most people are asymmetrical as a matter of course, so dents, smaller on one side, etc is not anything to be concerned about unless there has been a drastic change in size and function in a short period of time.

Have you seen a doctor regarding your most recent concern? I would really hate to see you return here year after year as a method of allaying your worries. As you have been through this routine before with your doctors, it may be better if you see your gp. They have previous records and likely have an idea of how your legs looked a year ago and if there is any prominent change or cause for concern. They may also be able to help you explore your worries and provide in person assurance or recommendations for dealing with your health concerns.

~F

Thank you, ShiftKicker. Unfortunately, this has been in the back of my mind for a while and I'm really not sure if it will every go away. I try to deal with it, but it is a daily struggle. I have not noticed any functional change, but I don't remember my quad looking like that before. So, I'm not sure if I should consider that a drastic change over a short period of time. I drive myself crazy at times and really get myself worked up over this. I appreciate your kindness.

Dents like this can also represent atrophy of underlying fat. This is very common and nothing to worry about.

Thank you, Karen. So, the consensus is nothing to worry about? I read in to things too much sometimes.

I wouldn't be worrying.

That looks very common, especially if you don't do heavy leg weights.

Next time you think "atrophy" think of the Jews in Nazi Germany.

What you have is a wee divot in your leg, nowhere near atrophy.
Atrophy follows clinical weakness.

Thank you all. I appreciate everything. All of your input. God bless you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back