Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Minnesota
City
Minneapolis
I'm a 25 year old male. I've been having fasciculations all over my body daily for a little over three months now. (literally everywhere from head to two, including inside my ears etc)

I saw a neuro today. He didn't seem concerned about the twitches overall due to their widespread and fairly random nature. He couldn't see any on me, and said usually ALS twitches don't stop once they begin in a certain area. He tried to illicit twitches with the reflex hammer, but none presented.
However he said my left knee was a little asymmetric, and he wanted to do an MRI for it.
It doesn't seem this is very common unless there is a problem.

Any idea why this would be? Could it be a fluke? My heart rate was close to 100 and my blood pressure was super high (never high at home) so I was very, very nervous and I'm not sure if that could have caused it? Any ideas? Pretty freaked out about it.

An asymmetric knee does not mean ALS. Getting an MRI indicates something other than ALS or the doctor would have ordered an EMG. Constant twitching all over for a few months doesn't mean ALS either. Looking back over your previous posts, you appear to have a whole host of issues- none of which, you have been assured over and over again, fit a pattern of ALS.

So,
asymmetric knee
elevated heart rate
twitching
ligament inflammation
normal reflex
no atrophy
no clinical weakness

You have been to doctors. You have asked here multiple times. No one says ALS. Please get a handle on your obsession over ALS.

Again, no one says you have nothing wrong with you- but they are telling you ALS is not the issue. You do not belong on this forum. You may choose to argue (note: please don't argue), but it's actually a positive thing to not belong here. It's not the forum for you.

Last edited:
An asymmetric knee does not mean ALS. Getting an MRI indicates something other than ALS or the doctor would have ordered an EMG. Constant twitching all over for a few months doesn't mean ALS either. Looking back over your previous posts, you appear to have a whole host of issues- none of which, you have been assured over and over again, fit a pattern of ALS.

So,
asymmetric knee
elevated heart rate
twitching
ligament inflammation
normal reflex
no atrophy
no clinical weakness

You have been to doctors. You have asked here multiple times. No one says ALS. Please get a handle on your obsession over ALS.

Again, no one says you have nothing wrong with you- but they are telling you ALS is not the issue. You do not belong on this forum. You may choose to argue (note: please don't argue), but it's actually a positive thing to not belong here. It's not the forum for you.

Thank you for the response. I was just hoping to find out if an asymmetric knee reflex is common in ALS or if an asymmetric knee reflex in ALS always has other symptoms. I just want to move on from being afraid of this (and did not expect any abnormal findings at my appointment today) and was hoping for any insight you folks could provide. Thank you very much.

Yes people with ALS would be showing another signs in that leg

Reflexes do odd things sometimes. please don't worry

Yes people with ALS would be showing another signs in that leg

Reflexes do odd things sometimes. please don't worry

Thank you very much for the response.
Got it, so the change in reflex without other symptoms in the leg pretty or anywhere (besides all over body wide twitching) pretty much rules out ALS?

I would think that I'd have weakness or atrophy or something apparent if ALS made my leg reflexes were different, but I had no idea at all so I was just hoping to find out so I can put ALS to rest forever.
All of the rest of my reflexes were normal just my knees were asymmetric he said.

The doctor said he wants to do the MRI to rule out MS which he doesn't think I have, but said is possible.

Once again thank you very much.

I looked at my health info online and it seems the neuro found asymmetric hyperreflexia in the left knee.
Without weakness could this be a sign of ALS, or is pretty much impossible to be ALS without other UMN signs such as spasticity and cramps?

Your neuro is being cautious. We don't see any reason to suspect ALS, and I doubt MS is in the picture, either.

Your neuro is being cautious. We don't see any reason to suspect ALS, and I doubt MS is in the picture, either.

Thank you very much for the reply. I guess I'm just trying to find out whether a limb would have to be showing other signs first or at the same time of asymmetric hyperreflexia in ALS so I can put this behind me. I definitely left more a lot more scared than I entered...
I'd assume a limb that is showing signs of hyperrefleixa would also have weakness and or atrophy? But I can't find any information on this whatsoever.

I'd be ok with MS at this point, but the twitches don't seem to line up with that... I've had random bouts of numbness (left side of abdomen went numb randomly for 5 minutes) but nothing that points to MS...

WHY is anyone responding to this obsessive?

Runner, it does not matter if something-or-other could be a sign of ALS, because your problem is OCD, not ALS. Get it fixed before it destroys your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back