Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Ind
State
Mumbai
City
Mumbai
Okay so I would like to start by stating that I am asking this for my mother who is 48 years old.
Please excuse my grammatical errors as english is not my first language.

It all started with TIA like symptoms. One day..out of nowhere my mother suddenly felt her left hand go numb completely..like it had lost all the senses and it dropped down. She tried to move it and within a 2-3 minutes it gained back senses. Within 2 hours of this incidence, another incident occured. She felt her left side of the face and ear go numb. Now was when she felt that this was something serious and she informed us and was taken to a general physician who wrote for MRI with angiography to be done. MRI was normal.
The next day we consulted a neurologist who straight up diagnosed it as TIA.
He wrote aspirin and one more cholestrol reducing medicine for her even though her cholestrol was totally fine. Nothing seemed to be the reason for TIA as her blood pressure cholestrol etc was fine. Although she was under a lot of stress few days prior to when it happened.

We did consult amother neurologist for a second opinion.. he was a senior neurologist, and more experienced than the previous one. He did physical examination and saw the MRI amd to our surprise he said it wasn't a TIA. He didnt give any clear diagnosis..he just changed the medicines.

After this incidence... my mother has been having twitching on a daily basis all over her body. It began in the left arm, leg then spread all over not being fixed to any one side. Calves, thighs, buttocks, upper chest area..everywhere...a lot of times in a day not just once or twice.

I would also want to state that few days after that "TIA episode" (as diagnosed by the doc) my mother felt her left hand feeling numb and cold from within even though she was able to move it properly.

Then two months after TIA while working normally during the day, she felt her right hand go numb, feeling cold, even though it was moving properly.

This led us to see a third neurologist who again seemes to have no answers.

Currently the problem that she is facing is a lot of twitching all over the body. She also seems to feel numbness in a certain area..and then that area itself twitches..and withing few hours or maybe days the numbness goes away.
Once again i would like to state that the twitchinng has only started after that TIA episode.. and we r not sure whether it was a tia or not.

The twitching has now continued for 2 months and she says the twitching seems to be increasing. I was very worried regarding it and so..as a human with an internet connection would do, i googled it. ALS showed up and ever since then i have been in so much tension.

Im very sorry for making this post so long but so much has happened over the past 2 months i felt the meed to state it all. Could anyone please tell me or guide me what does this sound like? Is it ALS?
Thanks to anyone whoever helps, in advance.

If you read the Read Before post at the top of the forum you would notice ALS does not come with sensory symptoms. And any deficit in muscles does not improve. Ever. The dx of TIA sounds a lot closer to me.
Vincent

Hi Samantha,

I'm not a doctor, but I say with confidence that this isn't ALS.

The brain does weird stuff. Possibly a little glitch, possibly will get worse. But it surely isn't ALS. As Vincent points out, the reason is explained in the post at the top of this forum called "Read Before Posting."

Im so sorry for bothering but nothing will put my worries to rest as she develops new symptoms everyday. It is worrying me a lot..please bear with me.
Recently, since last 3 days she says she has been experiencing sudden pain (cramps) in the calf of left leg..the pain continues for some time and reduces little by little over time and after that it gets normal.usually an hour or so.
She faced these cramps in the left calf thrice and even in her middle finger of one hand. Does this indicate something?

Hi Samantha,

I am sorry your mother is having these issues, but I can assure you they bear no resemblance to ALS.

You say her medication was changed by the 2nd neurologist -- to what? Has a 24-hour Holter monitor test been done? She could have a heart or circulatory problem that the MRA did not see. Also, was her blood coagulation and other bloodwork, such as electrolytes, checked?

I would pursue these possibilities and others that may present themselves as I do think a firmer answer is possible.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back