Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Wyoming
City
Cheyenne
Ok. For the last 3 months I have noticed something different with my speech. I seem to have to try harder to enunciate words correctly. Before this I never even paid attention. I also have noticed my jaw seems loose. When I lay down my jaw flops to the direction I'm laying and it's very hard to speak when laying down. I only get relief from my jaw bothering me by letting it hang open. My tongue feels very thick and heavy and dry at times. I notice in the mornings recently my speech is slightly slurred but does seem to ease up after up for a bit. This is gradually getting worse at a very slow pace. I googled and ended up here. I guess my questions are does bulbar start in this fashion? I have an MRI scheduled next week and saw a neuro who scheduled it. He told me that I'm being sick but doesn't know what is causing it. But want to run a bunch of tests. I also have had lots of vibration and twitching in my left thigh buttocks and calf. I'm pretty worried and scared right now. So a recap jaw is loose and slurring words mostly in the am for the slurring. It does seem to improve but not much. Feel like I have to concentrate hard to speak and enunciate. I know these are vague but don't know how to describe any better. Of course internet says only 2 things can cause slurring or speech problems. I appreciate any input or thoughts you may have. Thank you for your time. Also I am choking on my saliva several times a day. Like I go to swallow it and before I know it I'm choking and coughing. It's not every time but that to is becoming more frequent.

Also wanted to ask. In bulbar once you slur certain words is it continuous or intermittent. Like you slur a phrase and later can say the same phrase without slurring it.

There are way more than two different reasons for jaw/mouth issues- Dr Google is not the best place to go with vague physical symptoms. Self diagnosis via the internet can do more harm than good, as it usually piles a good dose of anxiety on top of symptoms. Anyhow, there are way more causes than just two for jaw and mouth issues- some are benign, some are concerning. There is no way the folks on this forum can tell you what might be the cause of such issues- you're right, those are vague descriptions. The only thing you can do is continue seeing your doctor to hunt down the cause. It sounds like you have a neurologist who is overseeing your search and is continuing to work their way through a list of tests to help determine what is is.

Thank you for your response. I also noticed when I stretch my tongue out that the right side tip is thin and can see a muscle line but the left is thick and bulky and no matter how hard I try I can't get it to match the right side. It's like the tip of the tongue muscle just doesn't work.

UPDATE I had my MRI and was normal. Sigh. My tongue is still feeling thick and very dry. I notice a lisp with s words when I say words with s in them together like in a row. I am now being said up with a speech pathologist not sure why because neuro told me I sounded fine. I feel like he's not telling me something. Anyway. My speech sounds thick to me. People say they don't notice. I've read several threads of people who dealt with symptoms I have and were eventually diagnosed with als. My heart is sinking to the point I don't even enjoy my child. I want I be away from everyone and just lay on n bed all day. It's sad. My jaw is still loose I'm hitting my teeth together more frequently when talking. I'm biting the tip of my tongue. Cold air makes my jaw feel like it slightly jerks at times. I e read posts about people's first symptom was lisping and all my symptoms too. Any input would be appreciated. Slowly falling into a dark place.

Please don't jump the gun. Talk to your doctor about a referal to a psychiatrist, for help. TRY to stop google-ing. That is just a GREAT way to ramp up your anxiety. Keep working with the doctors.

Angie

AngieGal is probably right. I've got the same issues and yesterday I perforated my tongue biting down on it. Ouch. I googled it this morning and had a major panic attack. But it's hard not to google!

It is hard not to google. What I've found is that people who read about certain symptoms start noticing it in themselves. Call it becoming hyper sensitive to everything.
If you're following up with your doctor and doing what they suggest while you're waiting for your appointments, there's nothing else you can really do. During the waiting game I suggest doing something nice for other people or doing something you've always wanted to do. It's amazing how putting your mind to something else, even if for just a little while helps change the negative thoughts, and helping somebody else is always a good idea!

Angie

Are you saying you had all my symptoms before you were diagnosed with als? Or just the tongue biting? @labradorsrule

Error in comment

Last edited:
josh
No one hear can give you a yes or no answer, this forum is about people that have ALS and we use it to help one another and advise on things we have learned to make our lives easier. We are not doctors and can not answer your concerns, but we all have our own path that brought us to ALS and there is no way any of this can help you. The answers you are looking for will come from your medical professionals not us, sorry to say that but that is just the way it is.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back