Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
us
State
ca
City
vacaville
Hi still dealing with this drop foot issue. Its happen may 30 and I had surgery to decompress my peroneal nerve July 27. Not much has changed I do go to therapy for my foot and for my anxiety and I was doing better but I had a set back when I went to therapy and the put a tens unit on me my big toe would not lift up it went straight down. I worried how weak it is. My lower back is killing me as I am starting to use a AFO my question is this does als affect the peroneal nerve I hate myself for asking you brave people my stupid questions but again I find myself in a hole of my own making. Thank you u are all in my heart and prayers every night

ALS can affect any motor function, but the cause of your foot problem has already been established and you are addressing it in PT. It is not an overnight thing and you may always have some issues, but that should not lead you back to ALS. If your worry is "crippling" you as well, please see a counselor.

Best,
Laurie

What are the doctors and PT saying? ALS does not affect just one area. Did anyone say maybe this is " just" permanent nerve damage because the compression was too severe and too long before surgery? Sonetimes after a nerve injury there is permanent loss This is why spinal cord surgeries can be emergencies.

You are having back pain because of the afo? That should not happen. If you are having back pain maybe there is a spinal condition now complicating this. Please check with your pt and your doctor

My surgeon and neurosurgeon but said I had classic nerve compression my ncs showed no peroneal nerve response so maybe it is permanent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back