I'm sort of flipping out...any help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterland99

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Brick
Hi everyone,

I turned 18 this past June. My story starts the first week of August. I jumped off a bridge into water and got a small fracture in my back. A hairline fracture the doctor calls it. I have had four MRI's and they all say my spinal cord is fine, and it's just that one fracture that needs to heal.

Fast forward to present. About two weeks ago or so I started getting random muscle spasms in my leg, arms, shoulders, and the back of my head. When I lift my thigh up, you can see the upper part shake, and I feel my entire body shake as well. When I lift my arm up, the shoulder shakes and I can feel it.

They feel generally weak. Something in my lower back cracks when I lift my leg, I'm not sure if they are connected somehow but; I'm really worried it's signs of ALS. When I walk up stairs my legs burn a little and feel weak, something I've never had before and just hitting my thigh a little causes it to burn. Now I am a vegetarian and haven't been eatting the best lately, so perhaps it could be a deficiency, but I doubt it.

I am not sure what to think because of that bridge incident back in August, it is a very big coincidence that this all started 6 weeks after...but at the same time very odd how it would take 6 weeks after the impact to have this happen if it was related to the trauma.

What do you all think? I have a brain MRI tomorrow, but I heard even if you have a case of it, the MRI would come back normal.

The spasms don't happen at rest, only when I lift the parts of my body. I can walk fine but when I bend over I feel the back of my neck shake, or when I lift my arm or legs they shake.

Oh and one more thing is that I've always had the shaking in the back of my head for example leaning up from bed in the morning, and lifting your head for exercises.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

ALS is really not likely at all. My recommendation is to work with a physiotherapist to make sure your past injury has not affected your back and neck muscles. You will be given baseline performance testing and exercises to help improve structure by the physio. From this you can track any changes moving forward. If there is no improvement, or a reduction in performance, it will have been observed by a physio and can then be used to help your doctor figure out what is going on structurally.

Your age in combination with a recent back injury indicates a structural concern. Not sure if you were assessed for concussion- even a mild tbi from impact can affect your overall health for month and months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back