Reason
Loved one DX
Country
Us
State
NC
City
Marion
My mom whom is 78 is going to be evaluated this month to see if she has ALS. Back in march she started having some numbness in her toes and then a month later she had what we call a drop foot. It's now Sept and she cannot walk without a walker. She has had an upper and lower mri of her back and there is something wrong at everyone leveling of her back. She had a brain scan and it showed she had had a small stroke. She had an nerve conduction test that was inconclusive. She was physically remodeling houses in Feb and March but has since gone down hill fast. She was totally healthy has never been on any meds. Don't know what to think. Any idea's on what could be causing drop foot. She has no other symptoms. I did notice her repeating herself yesterday. She does have noticeable arthritis in her hands. She says her hip hurts but and her leg twitches when she lays down. Any idea's in what this could be if not ALS? Thank you

This was moved because you state she is not diagnosed but is to be evaluated

Not necessarily ALS. The numbness in the foot argues against ALS, but could represent radiculopathy due to the arthritis in her spine. Degenerative arthritis noted on MRI of spine is fairly typical for a 78 yo. History of "a small stroke" found on brain scan also not a total surprise at 78.

I would also be concerned about the possibility of an autoimmune process such as vasculitis. Be sure she has a thorough medical work up including routine lab tests which should include ANA, blood count, and urine tests.

While I cannot offer any solutions as to where to go in your area for help, I do want to say I'm sorry to have to welcome you here.

That's terrible that the clinic was so dismissive of your mum. I hope someone can jump in here and offer options for you both on how to get additional help.

My dad started out with drop foot in his right foot, eventually the right side of him became weak. He started falling a lot, lost 25 pounds. He had a CT scan done as I thought it was a stroke, that was ruled out...was diagnosed in November of 2016 with ALS. MRI showed a narrowing of the spine in his neck and some disk damage as well. Blood work came back normal. Since November his left side has atrophied as well. I guess what am I trying to say is that he has ALS with disk issues as well, from his age, which is 73, but he was never one for exercising or just moving around.

Closing this thread please see other thread in newly diagnosed ( unfortunately)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back