Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Minnesota
City
Minneapolis
Hello, I'm a 25 year old male. For the last three weeks I've been having fasciculation daily. They are mostly in my calves and thighs in both legs, but I get them everywhere from my arms, shoulders, buttocks, abdomen, back etc. I get them pretty regularly. Usually at least 10 and hour.

I wasn't too concerned with this symptoms overall, given that they are body wide. However I recently noticed a possible difference in my right palm from my left. I can't tell if this is atrophy, or I'm just looking at it too hard. I can see a difference though, I'm positive.

Left palm:
https://imgur.com/a/UAsSB

Right palm (one I'm concerned with)
https://imgur.com/a/940qc

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Shoulder Atrophy

I started having fasciculations in my left tricep and shoulder.
Within 4 days the fasciculations spread all over my body.
They have been non-stop for almost 30 days now.

I've noticed my left shoulder has some visible atrophy. The coracoid process bone sticks out way more on the left and there is visible muscle difference in the deltoid.
Would ALS present with shoulder atrophy as the first presence of atrophy? Is that possible or uncommon?

Last edited:
Re: Shoulder Atrophy

Fasiculations mean squat. They're far, far too common to be diagnostic of anything.

Which you could read for yourself in the Pinned Post titled Read Before Posting. Please do so.

Atrophy comes AFTER weakness.

And, please, NO PICTURES! They're invariably useless.

Mod note: Merged threads.

Running, please keep to a single thread. It makes it difficult for members to see posting history and access all information when you open more than one thread.

Does ALS start with back atrophy ever? I have widespread fasciculations and possible back and shoulder atrophy.

Update:

I saw my doctor today. She tested my reflexes in my arms and legs which were normal or symmetrical and not brisk. She tested my strength which was normal.
I have no Babinski or Hoffmans sign. She looked at my hands, and they looked normal to her.
I got a CK Test which came back at 134. My previous one 6 months ago (tested for unrelated symptoms) came back at 92. I'm not sure if this is significant or not.
I've had widespread (all over my body) fasciculations for going on 34 days straight now. They are everywhere (even in my ear, but never had them in my eyes) and highly disturbing to live with.
They are way worse when sitting with my back against something. I probably get 200-350 of them a day.
I did inform my doctor about them. She checked my eyes and said something about neurological problems often showing in the eyes? Is this related to ALS or something different?

I have asymmetrical shoulders (one bone, the coracoid process, sticks out way more) but I'm not sure if it's atrophy or not? She couldn't tell, and had it x-rayed which showed no issues)
If I had atrophy in my shoulder would I also have noticeable weakness? I can lift my weights, which don't feel heavier.
She was going to collect all my tests (I got tested for Lyme as well) and refer me to neuro for further examination.

Is there anything in my info that points towards or away from ALS?
I would greatly appreciate your help.

Last edited:
So your doctor basically cleared you, but you're still obsessing.

Try to accept this: twitching / fasiculations DON'T COUNT. Quit wasting our time with them.

NO ONE is symmetrical.

Atrophy FOLLOWS *clinical* weakness.

Go see the Neuro, but don't expect a Dx of ALS.

So your doctor basically cleared you, but you're still obsessing.

Try to accept this: twitching / fasiculations DON'T COUNT. Quit wasting our time with them.

NO ONE is symmetrical.

Atrophy FOLLOWS *clinical* weakness.

Go see the Neuro, but don't expect a Dx of ALS.

I will do my best to try and worry less about possible ALS. I think reading conflicting info on the widespread twitching being possible at the beggnining is what has my anxiety on edge. I do understand that on their own they don't amount to an ALS diagnosis, but having them so frequent is simply hard to deal with.

Thanks for the reply.

As this seems to be your sore point, I'd suggest you look at BFS, Benign Fasiculation Syndrome.

It's not fatal, and it's what many of us prayed for.

It'd be a much healthier thing to obsess over!

As this seems to be your sore point, I'd suggest you look at BFS, Benign Fasiculation Syndrome.

It's not fatal, and it's what many of us prayed for.

It'd be a much healthier thing to obsess over!

Yes I did look into BFS and signed up for the page on Facebook. It seems quite a few others have similar experiences to mine.
A lot of people also very scared of ALS on the BFS page.

My only concern at this point is my possible shoulder issues.
I had an x-ray and just heard back that they found mild ligament inflammation. Any idea if ALS does/could cause this?

Thanks again for the response.

ALS is not ligament inflammation. This is equivalent to asking if having sniffles means you have a brain tumor. This forum is not a place where you can continue to ask health related questions after you have been assured by multiple members and doctors that your symptoms do not fit the pattern of ALS.

If you are still concerned about ALS, do not continue seek attention here but go to another doctor to discuss your worries about symptoms.

ALS is not ligament inflammation. This is equivalent to asking if having sniffles means you have a brain tumor. This forum is not a place where you can continue to ask health related questions after you have been assured by multiple members and doctors that your symptoms do not fit the pattern of ALS.

If you are still concerned about ALS, do not continue seek attention here but go to another doctor to discuss your worries about symptoms.

Got it. I wasn't sure if they were related and my searches on that matter yielded confusing results so I was hoping to get conclusive information. My doctor just gave me this info today, in addition to a negative Lyme test.

I will plan on not posting anymore. I feel my symptoms are concerning/cause for looking into but I understand if you do not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back