State
Illinois
City
Havana
Symptoms-
Widespread twitching as of 1 month ago
Feel heavy as I am walking and standing
Every muscle trembles when trying to use it
I CAN stand on toes and CAN stand on heels as well but is this even significant?
Negative babinksky
Nothing has failed me as of yet my muscles have just been consistently weak for 3 months.
Hands and feet and ankles seem thin
Everything is more difficult to do like it requires more energy
Hands are shaky
Very very tired

I am a 26 year old female- is the onset different with someone younger?

I believe the only controversy about weakness is created by those who have not experienced ALS weakness. It is clear from your posts you have not.

Yes, if you can still do things like stand on your toes even though you feel weak it absolutely does matter. That means you have perceived weakness but are not showing signs that would lead one to suspect clinical weakness. Clinical weakness is detected by a doctor but failure of some kind is a good clue.

You don't understand the physiology. Read the sticky again and think about the wifi analogy. Even when you understand it intellectually, it is not really possible to grasp it fully unless it happens to you. I am FALS I knew the theory but I was still surprised when feeling fine and strong I could not walk on my toes. I kept trying saying I just need to try harder- pay attention etc. i described it to my sister who had had ALS for 2 years. Her comment? Yep that is how it is.

The signal is gone in ALS as more muscles lose the network connection there is more failure and more weakness but we don't feel it.

It doesn't matter what age onset happens the physiology and the experience is the same.

I don't know what is wrong with you. Only a doctor can say that but you are not describing ALS weakness and we have explained this to you. You are free to disbelieve us but please don't keep asking

My body is definitely weak. My neck even shakes to hold itself up. Every part of body shakes when I stand. I can stand on my toes and heels yes but it is feeling a little more wobbly every day....
It's not that I don't believe anyone I'm just trying to make sense of what else it could be if it wasn't ALS.
So In a nut she'll- no one with ALS really "feels" weak at all. They just notice that they "cant" do something? And that is universal and without a doubt.
You don't feel shaky and weak before something collapses or doesn't work anymore?

Hi Lauren,

This exact question has been answered several times by different members and in several different ways: bluntly, slowly and patiently, and using an analogy. For whatever reason, whether you are having fun with this or what, you do not believe anything that the forum members have told you repeatedly.

My husband did not "feel" weakness before onset of symptoms. He was running during his lunch hour with a friend, and in front a massive crowd of lunchtime goers, in a busy crowded downtown area, he did a face plant. That's because his left foot no longer worked to raise him on his toes, as one's foot does when running. He has never run again, because he couldn't.

Is this the same for every ALS patient in the world (that is what you are asking, correct?)? How the heck would anyone on this site know?!

That being said, this is generally how it happens. It starts in one area and spreads from there, without a feeling of weakness; you simply cannot use the muscle any longer.

Hi, Lauren,

I think we're done here. Let's be clear:

When "every muscle trembles when trying to use it," but "nothing has failed," you do not have ALS.

If you have anything that cannot be fixed with nutrition, hydration, de-stressing and more sleep, it is something that an internist needs to start working up.

If you have seen an internist who has ruled out systemic disease, it is time to work on diet, sleep and stress.

If you have not seen an internist, see one.

Best of luck.

Are any of my symptoms descriptive of being late in the disease as opposed to onset?
I just had a baby in May.
I felt weaker at end of pregnancy and have gotten worse since but didn't think anything of it. Perhaps I've had this awhile and it's just now showing itself to me.
It is every muscle of my body- not localized at all.
I really do appreciate your advice and feedback. It means a lot to me. I have been going through hell the last three months with this. If I'm failing I'm failing by means of not being able to lift something as heavy as it was before. Trying to figure out the mechanics of the disease

I have had everything tested. MRIs CTs autoimmune and thyroid panels bloodwork everything you can think of. EMG is scheduled that's the last step. I have widespread twitching all over my body as well.
If a muscle for example simply doesn't work in the thighs then wouldn't that put more pressure on knees resulting in fat fire or feeling weak?

Lauren
You are not late into this disease if you have no clinical weakness or loss of function. Have you seen a doctor yet? I don't think we can help you if you won't talk to your doctor.

Wendy

Sorry our posts crossed, what have your doctors said they think it is. Rather than asking is this als you should be asking what is this.

Wendy

Wendy yes I have- I have had Ct scans- MRIs- cmp cbc thyroid panels sonograms Ekgs X-rays autoimmune panels. They tested for muscle wasting it was only 32 which is CK level. Only thing left is EMG. I feel like I do have clinical weakness because I can barely stand. Every muscle is weaker than it used to be- every day it gets even weaker. Idk if I have some crazy hyper version of ALS because it's all over my body- area around eyes is even fascilitating. Twitching started a month ago and it's all over my body from neck and back to legs and feet just everywhere. I'm so tired when I move. Folding towels is tiresome brushing hair- it's RIDICULOUS
I feel for all of you who have this my heart reaches out to you passionately. All I want to do is lay flat on my bed.

Lauren,
One of your threads has already been closed because you are continuing to ask the same question over and over. You were told not to post again until after you had an EMG. I understand you feel weak, but to repeat, one more time, feeling weak is not indicative of ALS. It's not different in young people. ALS is a brain disease. The nerve doesn't send the signal to the muscle and so it does NOT work. This is the same for young, old and everyone in between. The first symptoms are ones of 'failing'--being unable to button a shirt, sounding like you're drunk when you speak or falling over unexpectedly. You don't understand the difference between feeling and failing because you don't have ALS. PLEASE, PLEASE log off and wait for your doc. This is NOT a good place for you.
Best of luck,
Tracy

Lauren,
Just get the EMG and go from there. Pregnancy can throw off a lot in your body.
There is nothing more we can say to you here so please work with your doctors.

Do hands fascilitate at all in disease?

Do people with ALS twitch? Sure. Do people without ALS twitch? Sure. And there are lot more without than with.

I am closing this thread. Please do not post again until you have EMG results and a neurologist's opinion to report. We have given you our best answers and you are , quite honestly, straining our patience. Please consider this a warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back