Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
us
State
Illinois
City
Havana
Need some insight on if this sounds like anyone's experience with ALS.
My legs have been achy as if I had the flu for about 6 months. 3 months ago the achyness moved into my lower back and then my upper back then spread to my arms. 2 months ago I began to feel weak. Initially I thought the aching were my muscles but now I feel as though it's in my feet-knees- and ankles.
I feel like I have atrophy- seems I have a dent on my wrist- hands and feet seem very skinny to me.
I had a Charlie horse in my abdomen a few times and now I have body wide twitching. Literally everywhere. Arms- legs - jaw- neck- whole body feels extremely weak. When standing it feels I have bricks on my head. Feels like my nervous system is on overload like internal shaking. Muscles shake when I try to use them at all- picking something up- walking- etc.
eyes are finely facilitating
Extremely fatigued like can't stop sleeping at all it's misery.
Only thing I don't have is a "failing" muscle. Everything is moving how it should but weak- does it start out with extreme weakness then progress to not being able to move certain limbs- pinkies fingers etc?
I don't see how people can have a first symptom of just not being able to move their pinky without some sort of weakness beforehand if so because you can't just miss being this weak.
No babinsky sign as of now.

Also- Sleeping has been off for several months. Every muscle seems to just be under high stress- tension. Wake up and muscles hurt like I've been working out all night long.
Seems my symptoms are body wide- if I have atrophy it's even or bilateral. Didn't just start in one limb. I have had CT- MRIs- Sonia- bloodwork for auto immune thyroid just every test you can think of. Haven't had brain MRI or EMG.

We are all different, but I have not had any of those symptoms,
Al

Have they ordered an EMG? Who has decided that you are being investigated for ALS? You aren't describing ALS symptoms.

I understand that it is difficult to comprehend that failing is not feeling in ALS. But here goes, no, people don't feel extreme weakness before they start to fail. ALS is not a muscle disease and affects motor nerves, not sensory nerves. That means that the nerves that tell a muscle to move don't work but the nerves that tell you what you are feeling do. But the muscle never feels weak, it literally isn't getting the move signal from the nerve. Most people say that they 'feel' perfectly normal, they just can't move.

I will give you an example, my husband was eating one day and no matter how hard he tried he could not get the spoon to his mouth. It didn't feel weak, it wasn't hard or difficult to do, he literally couldn't make it move. He was surprised because, while he had been diagnosed by this point, he didn't 'feel' weak in his arm. You have something going on, but it doesn't sound at all like ALS. Continue to work with your doc.

Best wishes,

Tracy

Can someone explain the weakness you get with ALS?

Trying to understand the initial symptoms of weakness with ALS

That is strange. I feel so weak all over my body- actually my muscles tremble when I try to use them it is the weirdest thing.
What were his initial symptoms?

Mod Note: I merged your stray post into this thread. Per Forum rules, stay in ONE open thread.

That is strange. I feel so weak all over my body- actually my muscles tremble when I try to use them it is the weirdest thing.
What were his initial symptoms?

"Feeling" weakness is NOT ALS. I cannot walk, but I "feel" no different than I did "before"

So you didn't feel your leg or feet becoming weaker before you couldn't walk?

no.

Read the Sticky titled Read Before Posting. Lotsa info.

I also can see my hands moving or trembling if I pay attention.

READ THE DAMN STICKY!!!

None of your " symptoms" are ALS!
You're wasting our time!!

That's ridiculous-
I don't understand how percieved weakness doesn't come beforehand.
I have read other posts of people having some sensory issues as well such as aching legs- etc.
one of the main symptoms you find everywhere is muscle weakness- which you're telling me muscle weakness just means not being able to use the muscle period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back