Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Minnesota
City
Minneapolis
Hello everyone,

I'm a 25 year old male and I have been having a very concerning symptom since last Saturday. On Saturday I noticed my left tricep was twitching really intensely. It was most my tricep but would happen throughout my left arm. Sunday it continued, not quite as bad, but still very prominent. Monday and Tuesday it mostly subsided and happened only once or twice. However today I've woken up and it is back to twitching very intense in my tricep. I researched this and ALS has come up. It seems a few people my age first noticed twitching as their beginning symptom of ALS. It wouldn't concern me as much if the twitching was all over, but it is mostly concentrated to my left tricep. It happens every few seconds so far today. No weakness as far as I can tell, but I have no understanding of how to test myself for such a thing.

Is this a strong or possible indicator of ALS? I don't have insurance but will pay out of pocket if I need to be looked at. I would greatly appreciate your help. The twitches are fairly intense. I can't ignore them. I'm a non drinker, non smoker, healthy BMI. I didn't do anything unusual leading up to this. I boxed for a few minutes on Friday, but it was only a few minutes. Other than that I didn't workout, except for yesterday (rowing machine). I'm trying not to freak out, but I've never experienced anything like this before. For what it's worth it feels like it stops twitching if I move it when it twitches. I can't be positive, but that's what it seems like.

I would greatly appreciate your advice and help.

Edit;
Also I just wanted to add that I did read the sticky note. The thing I'm unsure of is the stories I've read of those who say their symptoms started with twitching only. I understand the odds are very low for me (without family history) to have ALS, but this is a new symptom for me, and I wish I could ignore it, but I can't not feel it and get anxious every time it happens.

Last edited:
Dr. Google strikes again.

You'll spontaneously combust into flames before you'll get ALS.

Sometimes people twitch. The older you get, the more it will happen.

Don't sweat it. Live a long life. Be nice to everyone you meet, and don't forget to enjoy living every day.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I greatly appreciate it. I certainly hope it's nothing to be concerned with.
I usually don't get worried about health stuff like this, but the fact that these twitches have persisted so long, coupled with reading about peoples initials symptoms sometimes being twitches alone really has put me in a state of high anxiety about it.

Twitching for a week is hardly "long." Have you tried hydration, electrolytes, heat and stretching exercises morning and night for your arms?

With a localized twitch, some magnesium lotion may help.

Is it still something to be concerned with? Does it sound like the possible start of ALS?
I stay very hydrated, I've done some stretching.
It stopped for an hour today, and then came back but not as bad.

I will try magnesium lotion. Thank you for the advice.

To go from a 5-day twitch to ALS is, frankly, ludicrous.

To go from a 5-day twitch to ALS is, frankly, ludicrous.

Got it. Thanks for the reply. Is there a certain duration I should wait before I bring it up with my doctor? Or is it just something I shouldn't bother mentioning to them?

Go ahead and see your GP and mention it because it bothers you. Everyone should have peace of mind.

She will do a very quick and simple test for weakness and reflexes, and you'll feel much better.

I'm not trying to make this into something for nothing. I just read about a few peoples cases where the only symptom they noticed was twitching in their left arm and it progressed slowly into something worse over 6 months to 1year or so. I'm not aware if this type of localized twitching is normal or not. From what I read localized twitching is uncommon to sustain for days, but this could be incorrect?

For what it's worth, it seems to happen more often when at rest, and I can't tell for sure but possibly subsides if I move/straighten my arm when it is occurring.

Thanks again for the replies and information.

Restless Leg Syndrome can manifest in the arms like that, as a benign example. Your PCP can screen for it. We can't diagnose you here.

Restless Leg Syndrome can manifest in the arms like that, as a benign example. Your PCP can screen for it. We can't diagnose you here.

Thanks for the info. Sorry if it seems like I'm looking for a diagnosis. I'm just looking for possible reasons as to why this is happening, and hoping it isn't anything too serious, and there are possible explanations for it.

I play guitar a few hours a day, use the computer a few hours a day. Not sure if that is contributing. I had a pretty bad sprain to my left hand about week before this twitching started. But no twitching in my hand, just in my left tricep now. I also did a few minutes of boxing for fun (no gloves) just movement and punching, and that's the only thing I can think of.

So far my experience has been: Twitching started Saturday persisted most of the day into Sunday, stopped Monday or Tuesday except for maybe 2-3 times each day. Came back Wednesday most of the day and now none so far today. The twitching is very visible, and you can see the muscle moving quite a bit. I sometimes get them in other parts of my body, but it's more so just a feeling, not visible and hard to tell if it is for sure twitching.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again for the replies.

Running, we wish you luck but this is an ALS support site.

You're now fishing for other diagnoses, and that's not what we do here.

Experienced members have expressed doubt that your symptoms are ALS and have recommended you follow up with your Doctor.

There is nothing more for you here.

Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back