Interest: Other
Louna is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Ottawa
State: Ontario
Interest: Other
Louna is on a distinguished road
Default Scared!!

Hi! I would like to have some information about als, i am freaking out over my symptoms. It started 10 months ago when i felt some pins and needles in my two last fingers on my left hand,

i kind of brushed it off then last febuary i started having kind of a trigger finger on my pinky, and my fingers got stiff in the morning, my doctor gave me steroid shot and it got better but the stiffness is still there in the morning. he saw that i had kind of a weakness in the left hand but only when i did the froment's sign so he sent me for a nerve conduction study in june 2017 cuz he thought that maybe i had ulnar entrapment..

The neurologist did the eletrodes thingy (ncs) and only poked me two times inside my palm underneath pinky and underneath thumb of left hand, he said everything's good you have nothing wrong. when i got home ( big mistake) i looked for reasons on google as to why we do the emg (cuz ive never heard of it before) and i found als as a probable disease and then i checked the symptoms and saw that i had a lot of matching symptoms after that i started getting twitches in my thumb and underneath soles of feet,

i went back to the doctor he told me he couldnt find the reason why i had pins and needles he saw that i had kind of a slight atrophy in left arm and hand but told me that its probably normal because he didnt see me before and probably was normal cuz each side of our bodies are assymetrical, and now i have trouble swallowing with pain (although that could be another reason) i am awaiting for an appointement to go back to see him again but right now i cant eat, nor sleep, i am a wreck im getting sick just by worrying constantly. Of i only did the nerve conduction study, would they have seen a problem like als?

Last edited by lgelb : 08-13-2017 at 11:56 PM Reason: paras
Old 08-13-2017, 11:58 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scared!!

When a steroid shot helps and the stiffness is worse in the morning, a rheumatology visit is a good idea. You're likely in the wrong place here.

Best,
Laurie
Old 08-14-2017, 05:51 AM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute

Louna, you said you have have the symptoms, but your doctor already checked. He would have seen symptoms if they were there.

Those lists of symptoms on the internet are always crap. Don't read them. They turned you into a wreck, so now you need to see the doctor again to get your anxiety fixed,

As Laurie said above, ALS is not your problem.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 AM #4 (permalink)

City: Oakville
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Firefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really nice
City: Oakville
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really nice

Louna, like my friends say, ALS can not be diagnosed on the internet. Try to forget about that and listen to your doctor, go back to being happy like you were before this internet bulls..t.
Al
Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM #5 (permalink)

City: Kitchener
Diagnosed: 09/2015
Angiegal is a jewel in the roughAngiegal is a jewel in the roughAngiegal is a jewel in the rough
City: Kitchener
Diagnosed: 09/2015
Angiegal is a jewel in the roughAngiegal is a jewel in the roughAngiegal is a jewel in the rough

Hi Louna.
Please do follow up with your doc. I agree with Laurie, Mike and Al.
Angie
Old 08-14-2017, 10:06 AM #6 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL is a name known to allClearwater AL is a name known to allClearwater AL is a name known to allClearwater AL is a name known to allClearwater AL is a name known to allClearwater AL is a name known to all
Very Helpful Member
City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL is a name known to allClearwater AL is a name known to allClearwater AL is a name known to allClearwater AL is a name known to allClearwater AL is a name known to allClearwater AL is a name known to all

Know what makes a Neurologist smile at the end of a very profitable day? Google.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 PM #7 (permalink)

City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Diagnosed: 06/2016
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Lkaibel is a splendid one to beholdLkaibel is a splendid one to beholdLkaibel is a splendid one to beholdLkaibel is a splendid one to beholdLkaibel is a splendid one to beholdLkaibel is a splendid one to beholdLkaibel is a splendid one to behold

City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Diagnosed: 06/2016
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Lkaibel is a splendid one to beholdLkaibel is a splendid one to beholdLkaibel is a splendid one to beholdLkaibel is a splendid one to beholdLkaibel is a splendid one to beholdLkaibel is a splendid one to beholdLkaibel is a splendid one to behold

Actually, your first tell that this had nothing to do with ALS was the super short EMG. Believe me, if they get anything suspect going on they poke sometimes literally for hours. A lot of ALS stories start that way.

You have a lot of Dr Google induced fear. I totally sympathize. As Atsugi said, now you do need a Dr. again to help get rid of that.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, als?, arm, atrophy, back, emg, fingers, information, mistake, neurologist, pain, problem, scared, sleep, stiffness, swallowing, symptoms, thumb, trouble swallowing, twitches, weakness, wrong