Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
West Sussex
City
Chichester
Hi there,

I posted a few weeks back and got some responses to my initial concern about ALS/MND due to varied symptoms that I have experienced over past 7 months .

Anyway I saw a Neurologist on 6th July and she done a full clinical examination of me and said that as far as she could see there was no sign of any Neuro degenerative disorder but as reassurance for me she would request and EMG ,Breathing tests ,etc , anyway a couple of weeks after this appointment I started experiencing more twitching than previously especially in left calf and also cramping too , I also noticed that my left ankle /bottom of leg looked smaller than right so measured it -difference of half an inch , I got back on phone to PA of neurologist and expressed my concerns but was told that Neurologist had not noticed anything of significance during examination (no muscle /wasting etc) I then became really worried maybe she had missed this , on top of this my breathing has also changed and I get breathless really quickly and feel like I just run out of gas ,also I am now getting sporadic twitching in other areas of body , mainly just one twitch ,right calf at times feels crampy too ,all this has come on since I saw Neurologist -What are you peoples thoughts on this as I cannot believe that my symptoms are picking up pace this quick-does it sound like ALS /MND

I hope I haven't offended anyone by posting again so quickly after my first post but I just need some advice /comments, I think its the speed that things have changed which worries me -Many thanks in advance

Sounds like anxiety as you approach the EMG appointment date. Does not sound like ALS.

A neurologist is unlikely to miss something when they're asked to investigate a fatal disease. In fact, according to your post, the only reason she ordered the EMG is to give you reassurance.

Had EMG today -thoughts please

Had EMG today after referred from Neurologist due to twitching /muscle cramps , was tested in both legs/calves/feet and technician told me that was clean and saw nothing of any note pointing towards MND/ALS -he also checked my hands/arms and said slight damage to Ulner nerve on left hand -my question is that even only tested limbs would it still be considered a good indicator that no ALS/MND -he also done a strength test on me Hands/arms/legs and said that I had full power -he put down my twitching and cramps in legs down to being Benign Fascilliations-Thoughts please from the knowledgeable and very helpful people on this forum-Many thanks

Mod note: Moved post to original thread. Please continue posting here.

This sounds like a great result for an EMG. It sounds like the person conducting the exam (and they were thorough) was very confident in their conclusion. That's excellent news.

Thank you Shiftkicker for your prompt response , does EMG of limbs count for whole body in being clear of ALS/MNd

You are reporting limb symptoms and had a limb EMG. It is not necessary to test every single muscle that has a symptom to rule out ALS. Yes this was plenty. If someone only had right arm symptoms and they had a left leg EMG it is possible that they would miss something but from the history you gave your EMG was more than adequate.

Have a nice life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back