Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
Uni
State
MN
City
Saint Paul
Hi I'm a 41 year old female, I have been having muscle twitches in my beciep along with atrophy in the arm, I'm unable to raise my arm to my shoulder height, in front and to the side, I also have a burning sensation from my neck down my shoulder, I have been having twitches into my thumb also. I had a emg and the neurologist said he has suspicions and concern, recently I had a MRI of the neck that showed arthritis in my neck and a buldged disc pinching a nerve on the opposite side of my issues. Any thoughts? I'm very nervous this is my on set.

Please read the Sticky post titled 'read before posting'.

Twitches mean absolutely nothing.
Burning sensation is not ALS.

The EMG has specific abnormalities that indicate ALS. It sounds like these were not found, but you need to clarify that with the doctor.

Missc1118, a bulging disc in the cervical section of the spine is extremely rare but... it can affect the upper extremities as you have described. As far as the "opposite side" consider this... the right hemisphere of the brain controls the left side of the body and the left hemisphere controls the right. As I have been told.

But as Greg said above... you need to consult your Neuro.

Hope for the best... the curable.

Last edited:
Al, what am I missing? C-spine radiculopathy is pretty common.

Twin Cities, I can't say from what you've presented if you have anything to worry about, since it's not clear if the EMG presented any evidence that your symptoms stem from something other than the issues seen on MRI. If not, PT, injections and/or a surgical consult should be discussed, i.e. a treatment plan.

Thank you for your responses, I didn't think any of it made sense. I have lost 7 family members to ALS, my mom being one. So my family is presented with familiar ALS. I have a second opinion on the 18th. I am very scared because of the history. But keep reminding myself these symptoms don't make sense.

The FALS history of course raises suspicion so with that information your concern makes much more sense. I am sorry. FALS is so hard

Is your second opinion neuromuscular?

Please let us know what happens

Laurie, When a disc in the cervical spine degenerates, the disc becomes flatter and stiffer and does not support the spine as well.

A bulging disc in the C-spine is rare.

Yes, C-spine radiculopathy is pretty common.

Thank you for your response, I do have a strong family hx of ALS and for my Dr to order a emg first is scary, the neurologist wanted the MRI. Everything I have seen and know about ALS, doesn't make sense with my problems but when your Dr goes that route first, it scared the hell out of me. If you feel I disrespected anything on this forum. I truly apologize.

It may be because of the history in the family the doctor went right to an EMG. When we are FALS it throws the usual statistics out the window. The very rare becomes highly likely.

You have nothing to apologize for

If you are responding to me concerning any disrespect to the Forum... not intended on my part. I apologize if you took it that way.

As like lgelb (Laurie) and Nikki replied...

Hope for the best... the curable.

My appt is with a different neurologist, I have sent him all my info, nobody has discussed the findings of the EMG, except for the day of the test, the Dr said very suspicious and he has concerns, and get a MRI. He was not helpful. Do you think I should see a neuromuscular Dr?

Maybe. I would get the EMG report and the note so you can see what was found Am I correct the sequence of events was pcp who ordered emg. Neuro who did the EMG and ordered MRI? How did the second neuro visit come to be scheduled? Your request because you wanted someone other than neuro1? Without knowing what the emg said it is hard to know how worried you should be.

Did any of your family go to a neuromuscular doctor that is still around and near you? They are often open to seeing family members of FALS

And you are not too far from Mayo I think?

I don't mean to panic you as it certainly could be something else from what you have said but you don't want to get bounced from neuro to neuro either

All my family have past on, 2011 being the last. I requested the 2nd visit and I had everything sent to him for review before I go and I'm not sure what to do until that visit. I have all fine motor skills but twitching is throughout my whole arm into my thumb now.

Maybe go to your pcp ( making sure first they have the records )and see how worried you should be? My pcp would tell me whether to pursue neuromuscular or wait. They also will know roughly the relative skills of the neuros in the area. They will not say neuro 2 is a quackeven if true but they will steer you away. But it might be neuro 2 is a star diagnostician

Thank you Nikki, you have been helpful. Do you have ALS? If that's to personal I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back