Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Queens
City
New York
Good Morning. I have been checking out the threads for awhile, and figured i'd ask for some help. i have had symptoms for awhile now, and it seems to be spreading. Heavy stiff legs, perceived loss of muscle, lots of weakness. Now, i am having issues, with my neck, and my tongue feels very strange. I have had almost every test that can be done, and everything came back normal. My neuro ruled out als after looking at me for about a nanosecond. Not sure what to do now. Is there a particular doctor besides a neuro i should look into? Any detailed blood work that should be done?

Have you had an EMG? "Almost every test that can be done" doesn't tell us much. What differentials are still on the table? What was the plan when you left the neuro?

"Perceived loss of muscle," as you know, is very different than atrophy noted in a clinical exam.

I have had an emg, ncv, mri, cat scans, xrays. I havd also had blood work done. They all came back normal. The only thing my neuro said was to change my footwear, and look into a new bed. No, medication, no physical therapy, or no inclination to what is happening. Told me to check back in 6 months.

Well, it appears that ALS has been ruled out. I'm very happy for you.

I would go to your primary care and see if she/he can get you some physical therapy. Of course, bring all your test results.

I had a very bad car accident in 2000 and really did a number on my whole body. An adjustable bed really helped with pain and I was a runner and have always spent most of my time in good running sneakers. I would take your neuro's recommendations and work with your primary care.

You don't need to be here because the EMG took ALS off the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back