Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Nj
City
NJ
Hello All:

First and foremost, I respect you all above all else and I hate to waste your time. I'll be brief.

Symptoms started in December 2016 - tingling, pain, discomfort in arm. Pain when angling neck backwards. (Aware these aren't ALS.) I was diagnosed at an ER with cervical radiculopathy, and I saw my neurologist a few weeks later. He found asymmetrical reflexes on the left (affected) side. He didn't seem too concerned, but ordered an MRI that my insurance denied. I went to PT and things felt better.

Of my own volition, I will admit I am a hypochondriac. I had myself worried about bulbar onset ALS (mild swallowing issues) and went to see a different neuro today. She said my exam was normal, but she was concerned about my previous exam that found "clinical pathological reflexes" and wants to do an EMG and MRI, apparently looking for "myelopathic process." Now I'm actually concerned, and I asked her if she thought it was ALS and she said she does not think it's that based on my symptoms.

I do have some twitching and discomfort in my arm, but no weakness. Since that first neuro my reflexes have been tested normal three times (including today).

Can any of you provide any guidance? Do "pathological reflexes" get better? My knee reflexes were a little brisk today but that was her only finding and it was symmetrical and I was nervous.

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Brisk reflexes are common in normal populations. My neuro has very brisk reflexes. Sometimes even anxiety can cause a startle response that makes reflexes appear to be brisk.

If it will alleviate anxiety, go ahead and get the EMG. I would certainly get an MRI considering your history in the ER.

Let us know, after your tests have been done.

Thank you for your response! Is it odd though that they were asymmetrical? And "pathologic" in January? But normal now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back