Old 07-27-2017, 01:11 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Nitra
State: Slovakia
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Peter999 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Is this ALS? Or can ALS improve?

Hello
I have some health problems for 5 months now and it is destroying me.
And I have some questions for you to clarify what docs could not. It started with twitching in legs mostly in thighs and calfs but it became widespread. Next I started felling a weakness after some sport activities. Like cycling. i used to cycle a lot but now I am able to go on bike for few minutes and then I feel like I was in a gym hitting all day without a break. After few visits in hospitals, they did everything but with no results except EMG. I was told that I have small lower motor neuron lesion. And then I started to worry about ALS because Mr. Google says LMN lesion is associated with ALS. But after all they told me that I have benign fasciculation syndrome and some neuropathy and I am a very stressful person and I should see a psychologist and prescribed me a milgamma ( On US sites it says it is for diabetes but here in Europe it is used to cure some nerve disorders, pain, neuropathy etc...) After taking it for a week the twitching was mostly gone and I could also bike normally again. But right now after almost 2 weeks I can feel the twitching again. It is not that bad like before but it is slightly worsening over time. i have some questions for you guys
1) If I would have ALS (Hope I don't) could some simple meds like this improve the symptoms like this?
2) Is there some improvement with basic meds in ALS?
3) Why the symptoms improved that well and after almost 2 weeks it is getting worse again?
4) Is this how ALS starts or are those symptoms familial with ALS?
My docks unfortunately told me nothing because simply they don't know. ALS is a very rare disease here and I doubt they have not seen a person with ALS.
Thank you for your time. Peter
Old 07-27-2017, 05:00 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold
City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is this ALS? Or can ALS improve?

ALS as a rule does not improve. It is invariably fatal. You present with no clinical weakness. ALS causes muscles to wither and die, because the nerves that drive them die. When you have something that does not work, then you need to worry. Until then, relax there's lots of other things it could be, you don't have ALS.

Vincent
Thanks from
Lkaibel (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:28 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute

1. No
2. No.
3. Ask a doctor.
4. No.

Greg is right, as usual.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:28 PM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsugi View Post
1. No
2. No.
3. Ask a doctor.
4. No.

Greg is right, as usual.
Thanks for your response
It seems it is not improving anymore and I am just curious because I have these symptoms for 5 months, maybe a little less but what exactly would EMG show in very early stage. My findings were small LMN lesion accompanied with widespread twitching which is not improving at all. So I am just stressed right now because I still cannot get ALS from my head and I still believe it is just to early to diagnose it. So I am just wondering what are some really early symptoms and what is shown on early EMG
Thanks.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:04 PM #5 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to behold
Very Helpful Member
City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to behold

Ok, here I go... I may regret it.

Peter, this may not entirely relate to you but for the most part...

Generally a Neurologist following an EMG will "avoid" medical terminology where there were no finding of denervation and reinnervation, angular fibers, neurogenic atrophy, wave forms, C9 or f72 mutation, conduction block and temporal dispersion, F-wave nerve conduction, reduced numbers of MUPs, CMAP amplitude and on and on... not willing to ramble on with exclusion.
(For the most part I don’t get into medical terminology in my replies.)

Because, Neurologists just don’t have the time to explain medical terminology... the patient wouldn't comprehend it anyway in a time limited office visit. Medicare on most office visits only pays for 20 minutes for example. This country.

They keep it simple reviewing the results…

“Your EMG was normal. No indication of any motor neuron disease.”

“Fasciculation (twitches) are common and yours are benign.”

"Your EMG was somewhat normal but I see no evidence of ALS."

"There may be evidence of a spinal issue." "Nothing at this time indicates any MND." (a lesion)

"Your EMG was slightly abnormal but I see nothing that would concern me in regards to ALS or any MND."

“I found no evidence of any neurological issues.”

“Being there is nothing related to Motor Neuron issues I’d like to refer you to a psychologist.”

Doing his best... the Neurologist reassures you - you do not have ALS.
Then, because of the unrelated symptoms you still have … back to Dr. Google who will once again fuels your suspicions, regardless of one of the most definitive ALS test… the EMG. Anxiety finds it’s way back in.

If you can afford it or your insurance will pay for it… go for a second opinion.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, als?, cure, diabetes, emg, familial, fasciculation, health, hope, improvement, is this als, is this als?, meds, pain, person with als, problems, questions, stress, symptoms, twitching, weakness