Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
I previously posted a thread regarding some weird physical symptoms which i have been experiencing.

38 year old male. Approximately 8 weeks ago noticed some twitching in forearms and biceps. Twitching would occur typically after exertion, but also when muscles were at rest. Twitching was inconsistent, but still felt daily. At the same time as twitching onset, I noticed some pain/stiffness in both hands. Actual point-tenderness in my index finger. In addition, I noticed tingling sensation in fingers, which i felt was most likely related to mild ulnar nerve root irritation in the elbow.

Most recently, I have noticed that my legs are sore and "feel" a bit shaky. Twitching has seemed to migrate from arms to legs, but no real pattern and the twitching is daily, but sporadic. One day my quad will twitch and the next day its my shoulder. While on vacation, I noticed my left calf was twitching.

I am trying to chalk all of this up to stress, anxiety, physical exertion ( 2 young kids at home).

I am not experiencing weakness. I have dropped a few things from time to time, but not sure if I am just being hyper-sensitive or the ulnar issues are affecting hand-strength/dexterity.

The spread of muscle twitching and the recent soreness/stiffness in both quads have caused some concern and brought me back down the rabbit hole.

I have never experienced symptoms like this before. I recognize that there is no boiler-plate presentation of Als, but just wanted some feedback.

Again, it has only been 8 weeks, but twitching has spread. The quad soreness/stiffness is a bit puzzling because I have NEVER experienced it before and it seems to coincide with all of these other weird things.

Can Als progress like this? 8 weeks? Arms to legs bilaterally? I have read personal accounts of Als onset where someone experienced diffuse twitching with body-wide fatigue, muscle stiffness, etc.

I went to Neuro 4 weeks ago. He does not specialize in Als or MND. He did a cursory neuro exam and said it was benign.

With each new "symptom", I get more and more concerned. I start to think worst case scenarios. I could ask for an EMG, but am afraid of what it could show. It might make the anxiety worse. It is almost like I am waiting for the weakness to strike or some major problem to reveal itself. Anxiety is at an all-time high.

Just looking for some input, slap in the face, impression.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, no. No ALS described in your post. I hope you have a primary care provider like a GP or an Internal Medicine doc. A therapist is a good idea.

You have rambled on over two separate threads, noting every little minor symptom, admitting yourself more than once it is likely anxiety related, posting here looking for nobody knows what then as concerned as you are about ALS you write this...

(" I could ask for an EMG, but am afraid of what it could show. It might make the anxiety worse. It is almost like I am waiting for the weakness to strike or some major problem to reveal itself. Anxiety is at an all-time high.")

There are a lot of brave members here LIVING with ALS and other MNDs... muster up a little bravery yourself and convince that Neuro you want an EMG. You're a Dad, act like one...

Last edited:
OK, here's your slap in the face -- get an EMG, rule out systemic disease with an internist, and move on with your life. Your kids deserve your best.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back