Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Rhode Island
City
Providence
Hello....I was hoping to get some feedback on this combination of symptoms. (36/m)

I've had random twitching before and haven't thought much about it. A bicep here a quad there, calf/hamstring, face, etc.

However recently I've either developed more of this more frequently or I'm just noticing them b/c I've entered what I guess would be called health anxiety.

Out of respect for this forum and community I did make a donation to it as my way of thanking you for taking time out of your day/night to answer my questions.

I have twitching or I guess what would be described as fascillations (not big contractions) in the following areas:

• Left Calf - Frequent, below the muscle/at the muscle/left and right..Some I can feel some I cannot but I can see them.
  • Left hamstring and quad (usually right above the knee, very intermittent
  • Left forearm and bicep - extremely intermittent
  • Left inside foot arch -frequent, can't feel but can see
  • Left Glute - infrequent usually when laying down or standing
  • Right Calf - same as left but not as frequent...between frequent and intermittent but I did have achilles surgery there a couple years ago so muscle not as big /strong
  • Right foot inside arch - same as left
  • Right quad above knee and hamstring - same as left but less frequent
  • Right glute - same as left but a little less frequent, maybe because I tend to balance more on my left given my achilles gait issue

I don't have any weakness sometimes if I sit down my left foot tingles and I also get buzzing sensations in the calves.

No weakness meaning nothing weak in my arms and with my feet I can still walk on my heels/balls of feet even up and down stairs.

I do workout occasionally recently I did do a workout that was fairly lower body intensive (stand up yoga with various balancing on 1 foot)...but that isn't rare to do that and I don't recall the frequency of these twitches afterwards (going on for a day or so after).

I do use a standup desk so I don't sit too much.

Very occasional fascillations in the fatty pad on right hand, though I do type all day. Occasionally tingling left side of face.

My physical is scheduled for august and I did see a neurologist back in 2015 for the face thing and I don't have any notes that any of my reflexes were off. There was no follow up appt needed I guess.

Does this sound like the onset perhaps? I've read that twitching isn't usually the first sign but it could be and I'm just not sure based on the totality of these symptoms what folks with experience with this awful disease think about these symptoms?

It's going to be probably a couple weeks until I can get an appt with the neurologist but I figured I'd lay it out here as well. I'm very scared to the point where I can barely read to my the little kids at night w/out crying bc the stories I've seen and read are just so very heartbreaking.

Thanks for any and all feedback...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.44.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.44.33 AM.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 295
Sounds like anxiety, pinched nerve etc. Nothings points to als in my opinion

Thank you for the quick reply. I have a high deductible health insurance plan would you consider the expense of an EMG at this point? It's pretty pricey out here.

Hi. Thank you for the donation.

To recap, you have twitching in multiple locations and tingling and buzzing in your lower extremities?

As you know from the sticky twitching is incredibly common so much so that is pointless to worry if there are no other signs

Tingling and buzzing are not ALS symptoms.

And no, I personally would not pay for an emg without clinical weakness. The sticker price up here is over 2 thousand dollars now and I believe insurance price is well over a thousand.

If something develops later ( which I see no reason to expect) that would be the time to pursue testing. It seems that an EMG even when normal does not reassure people as they start to worry " too early"

Ok thank you for the advice I'll hold off on the EMG for now and maybe meet with someone that can help with anxiety.

To recap, you have twitching in multiple locations and tingling and buzzing in your lower extremities?

Yes, however the twitching is more prevalent than those sensations especially in both calves/foot arches.

Hi. Thank you for the donation.

As you know from the sticky twitching is incredibly common so much so that is pointless to worry if there are no other signs

Tingling and buzzing are not ALS symptoms.

And no, I personally would not pay for an emg without clinical weakness. The sticker price up here is over 2 thousand dollars now and I believe insurance price is well over a thousand.

If something develops later ( which I see no reason to expect) that would be the time to pursue testing. It seems that an EMG even when normal does not reassure people as they start to worry " too early"

I did have a dr appt today the assistant did my knee reflexes and said they were fine dr didn't do anything other than have me stand on one leg both legs and stand on my toes + testing my flexibility.

Said I don't need to see a neuro and with symptoms in both legs + limited dexterity in my legs he recommended stretching. Blood work was all normal. PA did strength tests like hands on quads and lift, push her hands with my feet, dorsiflex with her hands on feet etc

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Last edited:
Sounds perfectly reasonable - you don't present with a single ALS symptom I'm happy to say :)

Pardon the reply..up most of the early morning with these fascillations in my calf, near Achilles...mostly left calf occasionally right calf doesn't seem to matter which way I lay. Also occasional pop in either quad above knee.

I notice that when I stretch the calf it feels tight almost like a muscle pull moreso left calf.

Also with either calf if I flex them up enough especially at night they both result in Charlie horses...is this consistent with the aches I've read about? I'm worried these are precursors 😔 Sorry it's just early morning here and I'm starting to get freaked out a bit....

Jaxson, just as gooseberry told you, go out and enjoy life. It may be a surprise to you but you are a normal human being.
Good luck
Al

Thanks Al for the reply. I've succumbed to Dr Google and am scheduled for an emg in both legs and back tomorrow. It's just constantly doing it in both calves (visible) but I feel it mostly in the left probably bc right is weaker due to past Achilles surgery thus weaker muscles over there (2014).

I've also developed some back pain in low back wonder if that's from some lower body weakness that I can't specifically notice yet.

I've already taken to much of you all's time I apologize for that just being a new dad has somehow ignited a wave of anxiety over this that I can't shake ��

Thank you again for your responses and feedback.

The pain you are experience could be the result of overstretching or muscle tension brought on by anxiety. When I was working I ALWAYS had more pain at the beginning and end of the semester. My neck pounded with pain and brought on dizziness.

Please post the results of your EMG. I have a feeling nothing will show up that is of major concern, then you can put it to rest.

Thanks Kim...it's really just the constant fascillations in both calves that worries me the most....never had that before. I did do a stand up yoga routine Monday morning that was lots of one legged standing and what not but to have the issues still 72 hours later doesn't seem right to me but I suppose the anxiety is causing me to notice them more.

I'm also preparing to deal with what Nikki said which was even with a clean emg I might just say it was done too early like a few days into noticing the fascillations...

Twitching means nothing. Twitching without weakness means even less than nothing. You have zero ALS symptoms, so I hope that when the EMG comes back clean you can relax. Please don't do the 'was it too early' cycle. The doc examined you and they really can pick up weakness using those tests that people think are too simple. Get the EMG and then relax and look at less dire causes of your twitching and fasciulations.

Jaxson, let me refresh your memory with a few things you have written

("I don't need to see a neuro and with symptoms in both legs + limited dexterity in my legs he recommended stretching.")

That's from a Neurologist!

("I apologize for that just being a new dad has somehow ignited a wave of anxiety over this that I can't shake.")

You recognize it's anxiety. You are about the third or more new Dad or Mom who has posted nearly the same recently. It beginning to look like a trend here.

PS Posting the receipt where you made a donation to the Forum didn't impress me one bit.

(' I and what not but to have the issues still 72 hours later doesn't seem right to me but I suppose the anxiety is causing me to notice them more.")

"I did do a stand up yoga routine Monday morning that was lots of one legged standing."

Do you have the slightest clue that many members here struggle just to walk? Some can't. Then you write about doing one legged yoga... come on.

Please believe the EMG results if you get one. Best wishes.

Last edited:
I hope you did not misunderstand me. The EMG will not be too early. It is as Codyclan says a common fear? rationalization? among our anxious members

Do please report back. It is helpful to others who come here later to see the story's conclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back