Learn about ALS
Country
Aus
State
QLD
City
Brisbane
Hi everyone,

For the past 2 weeks I have noticed fatigue in my left forearm which effects my hand. I can still do everything I normally could it's simply uncomfortable to do at the moment.

My question regards the feeling in my muscles which is now in my shoulder, forearm and hand are rather sore. When I am relaxing my muscles seem to be sore even when not moving and of course when ever I do something they seem to be sore and fatigue rather quickly.

I suffer greatly from Anxiety and I am an absolute mess and fee l quite sick and can't stop getting upset convinced I have ALS.

I play computer games a lot and used to work in I.T and my left arm is the main keyboard arm for playing games and I was putting it down to this maybe and that's why it's feeling strange at the moment.

I have read several posts including the sticky. The sticky states there isn't the feeling of weakness you simply cannot do that task. However when reading some of the posts made on this forum by people who have ALS they mention that there muscles were sore and fatigued.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Poor posture at the computer can cause a variety of issues in the neck. Your body is designed to have your head balanced atop the spine. Tilt it forward a bit and you can create a situation where you are causing yourself damage.

While I don't think you have ALS, all signs are pointing to a need for a physiotherapist. A physiotherapist can assess posture and your structural issues and formulate a proper exercise/stretching program to sort things out. There is also the benefit that they can track your strength session to session and provide feedback about weakness or physical concerns. Depending on how bad your posture is at your computer, your head could be providing 60 lbs of weight on your neck- which can definitely affect nerves running to your appendages.

text-neck-pounds.png

Jason, you've identified that you use your left arm for gaming a lot and you know how rare ALS is. Try some arm/hand exercises such as you can find on YouTube, and/or massage, and you will likely find relief. If not, your GP can refer you to a hand therapist.

Or see your GP to find that you do not have clinical weakness.

Best,
Laurie

Many thanks to the both of you. You're correct in saying I have already identified a possible cause and I guess my anxiety got the best of me and has me going down a very illogical path.

Thank you again for taking time out of your day to answer a silly mans question :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back