Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
illinois
City
chicago
I have a cousin in a different country. He' relatively young, 32, and asthmatic. Recently he fell of his motorcycle and fortunately nothing really happened to him. He's got some scratches and bruising but he was only going about 15 mph when the accident happened. Except he hasn't be released from the hospital because, although nothing is broken, he's having some motor issues. He overheard the doctor talking to his dad about ALS but they haven't told him anything. Ive read about how gradual the condition can come on but until he told me about i knew nothing so I'm hoping to learn more about it to help him. can the onset be this quick?

Here's a typical case:

One day you're healthy, then the next your foot doesn't hold you up. A month later you can't walk on that foot, so you see a doctor. After a couple of months, all the testing points only to ALS. Within a couple of years, every muscle in your body has become limp and useless, one by one, until one day your lungs don't work and you don't wake up.

ALS is rare. Your cousin most probably has something else--not fatal.

Thinking about a fall, I would have him re-evaluated for brain and spine injury, just to be safe. But no, ALS is likely not an issue.

Best,
Laurie

Very well put Mike, that is exactly my story and I'am sticking to it.
Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back