Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MD
City
Ocean City
Hi,
I started to notice that my daughter had leg twitches, especially in the right one, so we went to doctor and he diagnosed it with ankle clonus. I tried to google it and I see that it can be start of ALS. She is only 3 and I am so scared for her. Our physio also told me to wait with the results of "testing" and to come back in a week, but my mind is going crazy. Can somebody help me?

Clonus is extremely non specific and can be a sign of many many things. Short runs of clonus can be normal even.

Add to that ALS does not start bilaterally. It starts in one leg or one arm or bulbar.

That is what I would say to you as a grown up.

When discussing a 3 yo add that it is so rare as to be virtually non existent and is genetic when it happens. I would say never but I know of one child. One!

Hopefully this is nothing. Bilateral reflexive issues often are just oddities that mean nothing. I am very very very sure whatever it is it is not ALS. Good luck

my daughter had leg twitches, especially in the right one, so we went to doctor and he diagnosed it with Bilateral ankle clonus. I tried to google it and I see that it can be start of ALS.

Googeling symptoms or diseases is really stupid :neutral: That made me absoulutely crazy - and I was so worried that also my daughter got frightend.
We still have to pass a few tests because still there is no explanation for the leg twitches.
But each possible dangerous disease has been excluded by the test yet :)
What great relief.
I'll try to remember for me that it is more important that I stay calm for my daugther a not to try to selfdiagnose something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back