ALS/MND Support Group Forums

ALS/MND Support Group Forums (
-   Do I Have ALS? Is This ALS? (
-   -   Trouble with right leg (

Runner872 07-14-2017 04:45 PM

Trouble with right leg
So for the past month or so I have had some small pain in my right calf. Usually when I am sitting down I get up to walk around the pain is in my right calf and it goes away once I take a few steps. I am guessing this could be a strain but I worry this is a cramp.

Yesterday I was laying on my bed for about 2 hours taking a nap. When I woke up I was laying down and did a stretch of my entire body and I got a really bad leg cramp. Like I could barely stand on my leg. The ball of muscle returned to normal but the pain in my calf got worse. I don't really have any weakness other than the weakness the pain causes. I might attribute this to not stretching well enough at the gym on Wednesday.

I read the forum stickies and while I don't have any weakness my pain is attributed to the cramps. I have read cramps are an early symptom of ALS and I also have muscle twitching body wide.

I might go to a doctor if this keeps getting worse. However I have had leg cramps before but this time it worries me just a bit.

Do I have anything to worry about in this regard?

Thank you.

codyclan 07-14-2017 05:00 PM

Re: Trouble with right leg
No. No reason whatsoever to jump to a fatal disease from benign, and pretty common issues. Occasional cramps and twitching are so common that they are not diagnostic of anything. No need to worry about ALS.

Runner872 07-14-2017 05:06 PM

Re: Trouble with right leg
Thanks Tracy for the fast reply. I was worried because all this seemed local to my right leg. I knew someone much older than me who passed of als and he said they had muscle cramps. I am 30.