Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
City
North Jersey
Hi. I'm a 31 year old male who began experiencing symptoms in late February. Would like to know if there is real concern for ALS and not just fearing the worst.

My symptoms started with my arm suddenly jumping off my computer mouse at work one day. Thought it was odd at the time but moved on.

Few days later noticed my left shoulder was twitching. Moved my shoulder and it stopped. It soon started in my right shoulder and back as well. Twitching thus far always stops or can't be felt with movement. It would occur periodically throughout the day everyday. If this was my only problem I wouldn't be concerned.

In March noticed in the shower one day that my left bicep had a drastically increased tone (no mistaking it) and now contracts when moved slowly. This began to scare me.

Later in March a heaviness in my back then developed and all my limbs became stiff over a fairly short period of time. First my arms and then my legs. Occurred over a period of a three weeks.

Late April my coordination then started to deteriorate. Started with jamming hands into facet while washing hands or doing dishes. More recently my legs became heavy and my walk feels very awkward. Hoping this isn't the start of weakness. Going down stairs has become an impossibility as when I do my legs cross. These may be the worst ones for me presently as quality of life has gone downhill due to this.

I don't know much about atrophy so I don't want to assume anything but noticed in May my left palm has this triangle shape dent in it. Doesn't bother me as much but worth mentioning.

In addition to twitching in now every part of my body (head to toe everything twitches at some point during the day). I'm also experiencing entire limb jerks daily (similar to that initial jerk but much more frequently) and in some cases entire body jerks.

Just the other day I noticed now my right bicep now has increased in tone. Doesn't contract on movement yet.

Previous neurological appointment in January noted brisk reflexes but didn't have the rest of these symptoms then. Exam was considered normal despite brisk reflexes.

The positives (odd way to describe it I know) that would point away from ALS are my sensory symptoms. Numb feeling on left side of face, crawling sensation in legs, and tingling in finger tips. They have been present on and off for two months. Makes me think Multiple Sclerosis but that doesn't match perfectly either.

Something is definitely progressing. Can't see a doctor until either my Medicaid is approved or start a new job. So I'm stuck for now wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back