Learn about ALS
Country
HK
State
Hong Kong
City
Hong Kong
Hi everyone,

25 year old male here and wanting to learn more about ALS and my current symptoms.

Thank you very much for your time. I've had twitches body wide for about 5 months and perceived weakness for about half that time. Went to Neuro. Normal clinical exam. EMG showed benign fasciculations body wide. Since then my right shoulder has become weaker. When I do push pull motion it the shoulder pulls from the socket a bit. When i lift my arm with some weight it hurts. Also get tremors in my fingers, toes.

Has benign fasciculations been first detected on any PALs first EMG? and then later have developed clinical weakness and other symptoms?

Thank you for your time again. I really appreciate it.

It is very unlikely that you would have twitching and no clinical weakness and later go on to be diagnosed with ALS. In fact, you are probably more likely to be struck by lightening.

By the time my husband had significant twitching, his EMG was very, very abnormal. It was abnormal in places he had NO symptoms.

In addition, you are 25 years old. In the absence of a strong family history of ALS, it is very, very rare to be diagnosed under age 30.

My suggestion? Believe your Doctor, rest, relax, drink plenty of water and stay off of here except for when you come back to tell us all is well. I always enjoy hearing that, so please do.

Even benign twitching can be painful and repeatedly tensing your muscles can affect the joints. I would see a physical therapist with a neuromuscular specialty who can help you reconstitute the joint, and do static stretching and other bodywork to tame the twitches/pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back