Old 07-21-2017, 01:39 PM #16 (permalink)

City: Round Hill
State: VA
Diagnosed: 02/2014
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
codyclan is a jewel in the roughcodyclan is a jewel in the roughcodyclan is a jewel in the roughcodyclan is a jewel in the rough
City: Round Hill
State: VA
Diagnosed: 02/2014
codyclan is a jewel in the roughcodyclan is a jewel in the roughcodyclan is a jewel in the roughcodyclan is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Insights welcome- starting the journey to diagnosis

ALS symptoms don't improve-- I understand it is difficult and frustrating, but you really need to stop searching the internet and diagnosising yourself and wait for your neuro. Ask him what he thinks, don't ask if it's ALS, that could impede the diagnostic process. You really and truly do not describe ALS symptoms.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:50 PM #17 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Clearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to behold
Very Helpful Member
City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to behold

Bingo! That is proof you are dealing with serious anxiety or some other issue that is being amplified by anxiety... not ALS.

("I had s great day yesterday with hardly any symptoms then woke up this morning with my same throat concerns...")

Symptoms directly linked to ALS do not come and go. Period. You have persisted for two pages.

("I think I'm early in the disease...") Your neuros don't

("She did not do any exam, only the EMG and the needle test. This was only performed on my right arm and leg and right sternocleidomastoid. She said she did not see evidence of ALS,")

What more could any member add to that?

PS. The EMG is the needle test... as you referred to it. Which was it?

Last edited by Clearwater AL : 07-21-2017 at 02:15 PM
Old 07-22-2017, 08:01 AM #18 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pit of hot
State: FL
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Pit of hot
State: FL
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold

Viral infections, electrolyte imbalances, thyroid issues, can all cause your symptoms. You said you have intermittent foot drop. Als doesnt work that way Because the nerve gets damaged. Once you lose a function, its gone. You do not regain it.

Myasthenia gravis has facial symptoms...have you gone thru the mri, heavy metals, muscle enzymes, vitamin checks? If not , then stop worrying. You just know you are cramping .
Thanks from
Clearwater AL (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:42 PM #19 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute

Deb,

I know how hard it is to wait....no matter what you're waiting for. Everyone likes to make progress toward finding out what is wrong. I think you are doing all you can do and relaxing will help. There are so many things out there that aren't ALS. Nothing that you've posted makes me think you have ALS. Try to get some good rest, keep hydrated, and make sure your doctor answers all your questions.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:11 PM #20 (permalink)

City: Madison
State: Wi
Interest: Other
WorriedDeb is on a distinguished road
City: Madison
State: Wi
Interest: Other
WorriedDeb is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Insights welcome- starting the journey to diagnosis

Neurologist doesn't think als, but Swallow study showed decreased esophageal motility. Not good. Waiting for MRI. I felt good after neuro apt , but swallow study brought me back down again.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:01 AM #21 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

Decreased esophageal motility with no neuro deficits is unlikely to reflect ALS.
Thanks from
Clearwater AL (07-29-2017)
Closed Thread

Tags
als, als symptoms, back, bulbar, bulbar als, burning, cramps, diagnosis, early, emg, fasciculations, fatigue, fingers, lump, muscle, muscle fatigue, muscle pain, pain, sleep, symptom, symptoms, work