Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Connecticut (CT)
City
Canton
I'm sure a lot of people post here about muscle twitching and I apologize for being one of those people, I have been scouring the internet for answers and I'm deciding to post to see if there's anyone out there who may have some good insight. Thank you in advance.

My mother passed from ALS when I was 8, she was in her 40's. I am now 28 years old, female. I don't know if any other family member have had ALS because half of her side of the family history was unknown. I have always lived in fear of this disease.

I have been having all-over muscle fasciculations for about a month now. Prior to this, I had tingling in my fingers. The tingling has stopped but the fasciculations are there. They are not constant, not localized but very frequent. I have no weakness other than (and maybe this is considered weakness) some tiredness walking up stairs or sometimes tripping when I walk. I think that's normal, right?
The fasciculations happen throughout the day, especially when I'm at rest like at night. I have an appointment with my doctor this Friday, but as I read more and more about ALS I am terrified. I also read about hyperreflexia. For years I have struggled with uncontrollable blushing, in the recent years it happens to my face, neck and arms. It comes and goes and the triggers could be anything from talking to someone, to being warm, to even thinking about blushing.I have never been medically concerned until now.

I get the odds are against me, young and female and no paralysis to speak of, but still I feel off and I'm scared.

Would appreciate any words about family inheritance of ALS, first symptoms, really anything. Thank you all.

Surf, so sorry about your mom. Tingling and blushing are not typically associated with MND. We all trip or drag our feet from time to time, and/or get tired on stairs, esp. if we are short on sleep, food or water.

Conditions such as RLS, iron or magnesium deficiency can cause twitching at night.

In short, when you see your doc, I would have available a summary sheet listing each symptom, when it started, how consistent it is, what triggers it, how long it lasts, etc. But I don't see anything of concern in re ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie, your words brought me some calm. I will certainly write these items down for my appointment, that is a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back