Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Oakland
Hi all,

I am a male, 51 years old. I started having health anxiety a couple years ago. I started twitching a couple months back and went to Dr. Google and got myself all worked up about ALS. I had an EMG done on my left side and it came back normal. Very shortly after, I began feeling like I couldn't swallow.

I only have a tough time with food. I can swallow liquids and saliva, have never had a problem. Solid food seems to take 2 swallows to get down all the way though. Sometimes it all goes down in one go, but when it felt like it didn't go all the way, I tested it and I was able to bring a little bit back into my mouth (not a ton but there was some there without the 2nd swallow)

It has only been a few days and I'm praying it just goes away, but

Does this sound like how ALS dysphagia could present?

I am hoping for the best

Thank you all

I should mention that I've had a chronic cough for as long as I can remember, and doctors thought nothing of it. My throat is very red in comparison to the rest of my mouth the last few days.

Your username and the second sentence of your post pretty much defines your symptoms.

However, you might consider Googling sulfate intolerance. Many people with symptoms similar to yours have developed issues related to sulfates. Wine is a big problem but foods that have sulfates. And... it's found to be common in many people with anxiety issues.

Sore throat is not really under the umbrella of ALS symptoms.

Just a suggestion...see a doctor and relate these issues to him/her. Maybe others will chime in with some suggestions.

I know it is probably just my mind.

Clean EMG = the twitches have nothing to do with ALS, right?

So I guess I am worried about this problem swallowing being ALS independently of the twitching, which was shown to be benign.

I will look into the thing you said - thank you.

Is having to swallow twice how it would present, though? I'd sure feel better if it doesn't. Most resources simply put it as "trouble swallowing", no specifics.

I have no choking, gagging, etc. Just that I have to swallow twice.

I also would imagine the sore throat would be independent of this problem, as I've had it for quite a while now.

Thank you

Closed: Multi id's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back