Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pgh
Hello,

Posting this as a concerned first-time user. I have read the stickies and the stickes in BFSforums.com

I am a 36 year old white male, one child and one on way, professional job. About two-three weeks ago, I had a bad chest infection (I have since recovered from that). About a week in from getting sick, I felt some twitches in my right calf, where I saw the muscle move (a big thumper?). About a week later (they seemed to have gone away after the first few I saw), I started receiving them all over, 85% both calfs, 10% thigh, and 5% elsewhere (arms, abdomen, etc.). I have some random cramping and pain that comes and goes as well. The fasciculations are pretty consistent, but seem to be worse earlier in the day. Most I can see and feel, however, there are ones in my inner sides of my feet that I can see but not feel. Yesterday, I was able to go to gym and do a bike ride with no issues which is my regular workout.

I've made an appointment with my GP (which is tmw), but any thoughts off hand? I have no obvious weakness or atrophies (of course I am thinking perceived weaknesses). I understand a lot of things cause BFS, and I'll address those with my GP tomorrow, but any insight into the symptoms would be appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's time here and I sincerely appreciate the help. I respect everyone's time and effort and pray for the best for all of you.

Most likely, your issues are secondary to changes in diet, hydration and the effects of antibiotics and/or the infective organism itself. I very much doubt you have anything to worry about.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie for the reply. I wanted to give everyone an update. I went to PCP, she didn't observe any issues. We ordered all the bloodwork, all came back normal including Creatine Kinase. My friend was able to get me into a neurologist today, no weaknesses or atrophies after exam. Said I was slightly hyper reflexive but still within normal limits. They will do an emg to put my mind at ease. Still have the fasciculations. Said I shouldn't worry, would you agree?

Seems like very similar to this post: https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/16112-widespread-fasciculations-please-help-2.html

His exact words : "Hi , I would say the things that I noted during the Neurological examination were a fine tremor in your hands, and "brisk" reflexes though these are not necessarily pathological given the remainder of the exam, which was otherwise normal. Sincerely"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back