Old 06-06-2017, 12:09 AM #1 (permalink)

City: New York
State: New York
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Jocon37 is on a distinguished road
Default Jocon's thread

Hello everyone. Just wanted to get an opinion on my Symptoms. It all started around 2 months ago. It began with my left bicep twitching. From there it was pain, and pins and needles, and numbness in my hands and feet. As the days went on, joint, back, shoulder, and neck pain. I also was fatigued very easily. As of now, i mostly have pain, on my left side, focused on my shoulder and arm. The twitching is also still there, but now it is sporadic, all over the body, legs, buttock, shoulder, arm. I have been to a Neurologist. Had blood work done. Also had CT Scan, XRay, and Thoracic, and Cervical MRI of spine. Everything was good to go. The only issue was on the Thoracic, there was a paracentral disc protrusion of the t3-4, and t8-9 on the left side of the spine. Also noted that it most likely is Hydromelia. Still waiting on an appointment for an EMG. Dont know if all of these symptoms together are in any way early signs, but it is all i have on my mind waiting for further testing. Have a great night
Old 06-06-2017, 12:49 AM #2 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond repute
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jocon's thread

Mod note- moved to own thread. Please continue to post your questions here on your own thread.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:47 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

Hydromyelia is very different from ALS. Surgery in very experienced hands can be an option if it does not resolve and impedes your activities, and as with any neuro dx, a second opinion is advised once you have the first one based on the EMG. At any rate, you are in the wrong place here.

Best,
Laurie
Old 06-13-2017, 01:15 PM #4 (permalink)

Hello again. My symptoms have become worse. The twitching is more frequent, and i'm definitely getting weaker. My neuro has ruled out anything going on with me to the Hydromyelia. I have an emg appt on Thursday. Hopefully whatever is going on is not that serious and treatable. Thanks again Laurie.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:13 AM #5 (permalink)

Just a quick question on my ongoing symptoms. The left side of my body is getting weaker daily. Twitching is nonstop now. Getting really nervous about all of this happening so fast. Had a thoracic Spine mri done. This was the reading: Fusiform focus of increased t2 signal seen centrally in the thoracic cord extending from the mid t4 level to the conus tip measuring up to 4mm in greatest transverse dimension at the t10 level. This most likely represents hydromyelia.
T3-4: a left paracentral disc protusion is noted which mildly indents the anterior theal sac on the left.
T8-9: a left paracentral disc protrusion is noted which moderately effices the anterior theal sac on the left without cord deformity. I'm wondering if this is why my left side is getting weaker. Doesn't account for the twitching though. I know that is a lot of info, i apologize for that. I have my emg appt today. So hoping and praying that everything goes well. Any insight would be appreciated. Have a great day everyone.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:51 PM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Yes, the findings you cite can cause twitching as well as weakness -- note -- it is not theal sac, but thecal sac. As I said before, I would get a second opinion on what can be done, with what risk/benefit ratio.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:16 PM #7 (permalink)

Hey again. Had my EMG. Came back normal, even though my symptoms have not improved. The EMG was performed by a chiropractor, not sure if that is the norm. I have a 2nd opinion appointment on july 21st at Columbia university. So hopefully everything will one day get back to normal.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:24 PM #8 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute

A chiropractor? Are you sure it was not a D.O.?
Old 07-04-2017, 06:28 PM #9 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud of
Very Helpful Member
City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud of

The State of New York does allow a chiropractor to perform an EMG.

Can you explain your Neurologist sending you to a chiropractor for an EMG?
Old 07-04-2017, 06:37 PM #10 (permalink)

No, he was a chiropractor. I wasnt able to get an earlier emg appointment by a neurologist, so my pcp ordered it in her office. Like i said before, i have an appointment for another in 2 weeks.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:10 PM #11 (permalink)

Would a clean emg of the entire body, except for the throat and tongue rule out bulbar?
Old 07-20-2017, 02:49 PM #12 (permalink)

Just curious about pain in mnd. I have severe thigh pain and cramping, and the same in my nech and forearms. Are these is any way signs of als? I have gone through almost every test and everything was normal, so who knows what it might be. I have an appointment next week with a neurosurgeon, and i hope it is just something to do with my spine. Thanks again to Laurie, and all those who help day in and day out.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:11 PM #13 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Hydromyelia (syringomyelia) can cause pain, yes. The neurosurgeon is the right place to be going (and another after that if s/he wants to cut).
Old 07-27-2017, 02:58 PM #14 (permalink)

Met with a neurosurgeon today. No answers again. No diagnosis. Said that hydromyelia is in no way causing my symptoms. Another frustrating appointment. Weakness, cramps, bodywide twitching, and other symptoms,and no answers to what is going. on.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:35 AM #15 (permalink)

Just looking for some advice. I have been seen by a Neuro, and a Neurosurgeon. Cat scan, xray, blood work, other than a small lesion in my brain mri, everything was good. EMG came back clean. I wasnt tested for bulbar though. If it came back clean, can i rest easy? Also, twitching, weak arms, and legs. Tight cramps in hands, ankles, and thighs. Condition improves for awhile if i take a ibuprofen or hydrocodone. What could this be other than als/mnd? Can anyone point me in the direction of a different kind of doctor other than a neurologist. Thanks.
Closed Thread