Country
US
State
Minnesota
City
Minneapolis
Hi All-

Thank you for reading my post-

Let me first say that I have read the top three posts, as well as many others, as well as visited many websites. I tried to feel comfortable with the answers I have found, but haven't gotten there. I want to simply get advice for the specific feeling that I have had for quite some time now.

Over a year ago I started having a strange feeling in my right wrist and hand. Basically, when I bend my wrist to grab something, my pinky, ring finger and that portion of my wrist (ulnar area) seize, or cramp up. It happens for one or two seconds, and I don't have to pry it open, but it is uncomfortable and very unusual.

This past summer, I didn't feel it as much. I am not quite sure if the feeling went away, or I wasn't noticing it. This fall and winter it is quite evident again.

I went to my physician last week, who seemed concern, and made an appointment for me with a hand surgeon. He didn't run any tests besides looking at my arms and asking me a few questions. He didn't notice any muscle wasting.

I haven't noticed a ton of weakness in the particular fingers, although it will cramp up every time I bend my wrist and have my fingers tight (which I obviously do as little as possible now). I would say that I experience the feeling one or two times a day at this point, which has been pretty consistent throughout the past year, if not worse now.

If I carry something heavy, my wrist sometimes responds with what feel like 20 or 30 seconds of strong twitches (different than other twitches my body has gotten in the past) before returning to normal.

I should mention that in the past couple weeks am experiencing twitches and small pains/cramps all around my body, but think have created much of this from my worriness about my hand. I have also noticed that when I yawn large now and then I will get a cramp in the right side of my neck (same side as my hand issue).

I know that my problem could be ulnar entrapment or orbital tunnel syndrome, but I never really experienced pain/numbness/etc. before the clumsiness with the hand, which I know should come first.

I guess my major question is if this sounds like something that could be more serious, and if possible ALS symptoms could start with my ulnar area, and only cramp when I am making a specific motion with my hand. My appointment isn't for another month, and I feel stressed and anxious.

Thank you for any and all advice that you can give me.

-Brett

Could be as simple as a vitamin deficiency.

I don't know what the problem might be, but I see absolutely no reason to look at ALS. None at all. Nada. Zip.

Not ALS. I suspect the hand surgeon will ultimately hand you off to PT [pun intended].

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back